Avoiding the Media Creation Tool

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but I don't particularly like downloading something so that I can then, download something else.
I really liked the old Techbench landing page that Microsoft made available, so that we could just access the available Operating System ISOs and download them directly.

I recently discovered a workaround that works somewhat similarly.
The Media Creation Tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 is still an excellent option for most people but I use this technique now (for as long as it continues to work) to just grab the ISO that I want.

IF you use the link above on a Windows device then as a "feature" you end up with the media creation tool.
IF you use that same link on a non Windows device, say for instance Chrome on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 you end up with something quite different.
Microsoft has decided that this is a "feature". I don't necessarily agree, so........

I used Internet Explorer for this example.
The same thing works with Edge using the developers tool option (F12)
Like wise Chrome and Firefox both have extensions you can install to switch browser emulation on the fly.
Chrome = https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-for-c/djflhoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg
Firefox = https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher-firefox/

Using the link above in IE.... right click anywhere on the page and choose "Inspect Element" or strike the F12 key on your keyboard.
InspectElement.png

That will produce the following view that allows you to switch the emulation
ChangeEmulation.png

Select the "Emulation" tab and change the drop down for "User agent string" to Apple Safari (iPad)
That will produce the following
LikeTechBench.png

Which behaves very similarly to the old Techbench page and allows you to select from the available ISOs, including
Windows 10
Windows 10 N
Windows 10 Single language
AND from there your version language, and bit version (32 or 64 bit)

IDK..... it's probably just me, but I prefer to get what I want, when I want it and not have to rely on the media creation tool, which is perfectly fine for most people.

Reaction score
I wish you would have posted this yesterday, lol. I'm with ya though, I hate having to download what amounts to a download manager. It just seems unnecessary. Thanks though, I will definitely bookmark this thread.

Edit: This thread should be stickied btw.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I just came upon it the other day and I thought......
That's to much of a P.I.T.A to even mess with but then I tried it and it was so easy and just involved a few clicks of the mouse, I thought I would pass it along just in case anyone else was like minded.

Reaction score
Trouble, I like your post, but, I just cant seem to get it to work with Firefox. I don't see the emulation drop down box to grab the ISO ? It just takes me to the regular Media Creator Tools

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you installed the "Agent User Switcher" add-in for Firefox from my link above?
IF so..... just select it from the top right of the firefox browser and pick the Apple icon first one top left in the selection menu and then click the refresh button in the Firefox Browser or hit the F5 key on your keyboard..
That does it for me, but....
I'm no big fan of Firefox.
I had to reinstall it just now to see if I could make it work as advertised.
Seemed to work fine, as a matter of fact, I kinda like it more that the way you have to do it with IE, Edge or even Chrome, although Chrome works pretty well also.

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that Trouble.

Works perfectly in Edge. Open download page, press F12, Select as you stated the Safari option : done :)

Reaction score
Trouble Thanks Again! For some strange reason the "Agent User Switcher" didn't install correctly (no icon in tool bar) Reinstalled, and works great as per your explanation, the interface is very easy to use. Downloading the ISO now.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Excellent trick, in fact from double @Trouble, I am a fan ;)

I was using my Android phone but upon seeing this I decided to give it a whirl over Firefox.

As far as I can see, if you set any of the mobile user agents you automatically get the download ISO directly and works a treat.

Unrelated to this topic:

I found a bug with the recommended https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher-firefox/ addon + Firefox 52.0.2. Even if you disable the addon,
dis.PNG

You can still use the user agent switcher via the Toolbar button:
user.PNG

;)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The concept began with the idea of not having to download something to download something else.
As a matter of fact I think the OP states something along those lines in the first sentence or two.

I'm not familiar with the tool you've linked to but it would seem to be very similar to another one broadly discussed in other threads on the forum
https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techn...icrosoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool
Which I've used often.

As far as I'm concerned, you can't have too many resources or methods of acquiring the ISOs, so appreciate the additional tool(s) and information.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Thank you for reply

I'm not familiar with the tool you've linked to but it would seem to be very similar to another one broadly discussed in other threads on the forum
https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techn...icrosoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool
Which I've used often.

Yes, with exception the one you mention supports office ISO's as well, perhpas thats actually a better tool to suggest then.

As far as I'm concerned, you can't have too many resources or methods of acquiring the ISOs, so appreciate the additional tool(s) and information.

I couldn't have put it better myself :)

Lets hope people looking can be bothered to find them, :D

Have a good day there ;)

Ask a Question