Bad System Config hell! I'm finally out of it, but...

Reaction score
After spending the ENTIRE afternoon going around and around in a petulant frenzy trying to get windows to boot, I want to post a question before I head for the adult beverages. After trying many command prompt entries and automatic bios copying... how can I be sure that the backup files for windows are intact so that the NEXT time something happens, I know they are good? It was all: rename this, and create directory that, and copy this to there! Things were really messed up. I was ready to boot from my brand new Windows 10 USB, but it didn't show up on the boot menu! That's when I panicked. But after a few more random command line entries and reboots, Windows came back. I just don't feel... clean. Anyone have a comment on this? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Well on your Windows 10 USB, Did you try to boot it in UEFI mode? it not that's probably why you couldn't see it.
For future reference Macrium Reflect free will allow you to create a true image of your disk/SSD from which you can restore exactly where you were when you created the Image. All stress-free, it takes me a about 15 minutes to restore my C:/ OS drive I keep most of my data on other SSD and external hard drives

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I've messed with Macrium and Acronis and most recently, EaseUS todo backup (free). Can I clone an image to a different size/type drive assuming it is big enough? This new build I'm doing has a 1TB M.2 NVME drive and I don't want to buy another one just yet! But I just may. There's no piece of mind like a clone of the OS.

Reaction score
Yes during a Clone or restoring an Image you can go to small or bigger drives with smaller being at least a large as the drive your cloning from. With MR during the set up of the clone or image restore you would adjust the size of the partitions to fit before you run the restore. Their knowledge base is quite extensive as well as there user manual. To get going quickly this tutorial on another windows 10 forum is excellent. I gave up on Acronis years ago after many failures to restore. I have never tried EaseUS It was very popular a few years ago. Since 2010 or so I have never had a failure to restore with MR so there is no reason to try any other software. The free version is very good for most people. I have the paid for version for the extras Like tech support, incremental and scheduled backups. and File and folder back up.

Reaction score
Yes during a Clone or restoring an Image you can go to small or bigger drives with smaller being at least a large as the drive your cloning from. With MR during the set up of the clone or image restore you would adjust the size of the partitions to fit before you run the restore. Their knowledge base is quite extensive as well as there user manual. To get going quickly this tutorial on another windows 10 forum is excellent. I gave up on Acronis years ago after many failures to restore. I have never tried EaseUS It was very popular a few years ago. Since 2010 or so I have never had a failure to restore with MR so there is no reason to try any other software. The free version is very good for most people. I have the paid for version for the extras Like tech support, incremental and scheduled backups. and File and folder back up.

Great! I actually have MR V5 pro. I'm gonna check out the tutorial you linked. I'm not clear (yet) on clone vs image. My understanding is that a cloned drive can just be installed in the pc to replace the bad drive and I'm back in business. An image would require booting from some sort of rescue disk, then installing MR to install the image onto a new drive. I'll find out. Thanks for the excellent reply.

Reaction score
Either one you will need to boot from a USB Recovery USB, the Recovery program runs from Win PE environment, Clone you copy directly from your old disk to your new disk. image, you create and image on an external hard drive then restore that image to a new Hard drive. check out the tutorial I linked you too or look on youtube there are lots of videos showing you how its done.

Ask a Question