SOLVED BING

Reaction score
All of a sudden BING seems to have taken over my browser. I have looked to see how to remove it without success. It is not listed as an app on my computer. I've tried following the instructions for disabling Cortana and again the options I should be seeing aren't there. My computer has been chuntering away for some hours now so goodness only knows what it's downloading. I just want to be able to go back to Firefox or Google Chrome come to that. I do not want BING on my computer.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi TwoHoots,

You change which search provider you want via your Browser.

If you are using Microsoft Edge:
  1. Open Microsoft Edge Browser, then go to the search provider webpage you want to use.
    For example: https://www.google.com/webhp, if you wanted to use Google Chrome search as your default search provider in Edge
  2. Click the more icon ( . . . ) at top right corner of browser
  3. In the drop down menu that appears, click Settings
  4. In the left panel click on Advanced then scroll to bottom and on right panel click Change Search Provider
  5. You will now see a dialog with Bing (default) present, and you should now also see Google Search (discovered) listed [ or the web search page you chose to open in step 1 ].

Click once on the (discovered) search provider you want to use to hilight it, then click Set as default to change your search provider.

Note: While there is also a remove option here. At this time that appears not to work. However, if you set as default an alternate search provider, then Bing, while still listed will no longer be in use within Edge browser.

If you are using Google Chrome:
  1. Open Google Chrome browser
  2. Click the more icon (three vertical dots) at top right of browser
  3. Click on Settings
  4. In the next window, on the left side click on Search engine
  5. Now on right side at top of window click on the drop arrow and select a search provider you want to use.

Note: If the list of choices does not present you with the search provider you would like to use, then below this drop arrow list click on Manage search engines and use the Add button to locate and add your preferred search provider.

Sorry I do not currently use Mozilla's FireFox browser, but I imagine you would do something similar to the two examples I've provided here to achieve the same goal.

Hopefully, that helps you. If you are also wanting to use an alternative search provider, when you are using Cortana to search for an item, let us know. I or someone else in the Forum will be happy to show you how to do that too.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
With Firefox and the Menu Bar showing [right-click a blank area either end of the Address Bar] go to Tools, Options to make changes. Or click the 3 bars icon at right end and Options.

Reaction score
Hi TwoHoots,

You change which search provider you want via your Browser.

If you are using Microsoft Edge:
  1. Open Microsoft Edge Browser, then go to the search provider webpage you want to use.
    For example: https://www.google.com/webhp, if you wanted to use Google Chrome search as your default search provider in Edge
  2. Click the more icon ( . . . ) at top right corner of browser
  3. In the drop down menu that appears, click Settings
  4. In the left panel click on Advanced then scroll to bottom and on right panel click Change Search Provider
  5. You will now see a dialog with Bing (default) present, and you should now also see Google Search (discovered) listed [ or the web search page you chose to open in step 1 ].

Click once on the (discovered) search provider you want to use to hilight it, then click Set as default to change your search provider.

Note: While there is also a remove option here. At this time that appears not to work. However, if you set as default an alternate search provider, then Bing, while still listed will no longer be in use within Edge browser.

If you are using Google Chrome:
  1. Open Google Chrome browser
  2. Click the more icon (three vertical dots) at top right of browser
  3. Click on Settings
  4. In the next window, on the left side click on Search engine
  5. Now on right side at top of window click on the drop arrow and select a search provider you want to use.

Note: If the list of choices does not present you with the search provider you would like to use, then below this drop arrow list click on Manage search engines and use the Add button to locate and add your preferred search provider.

Sorry I do not currently use Mozilla's FireFox browser, but I imagine you would do something similar to the two examples I've provided here to achieve the same goal.

Hopefully, that helps you. If you are also wanting to use an alternative search provider, when you are using Cortana to search for an item, let us know. I or someone else in the Forum will be happy to show you how to do that too.

Regards,

Regedit32
Thank you Regedit32. A friend of mine has come to the rescue and on Firefox you go to the 3 lines on the right top corner, click on option, home, home page and a new window and if Bing is showing there, or whatever browser you don't want, you can remove it and change the default. So my probloem is now solved but not an easy one to do as my computer was showing that Firefox was my default browser and yet BING was in my face and and was acting like the default. Goodness know how it happened but I am happy to say that it is no more. Thank you for your assistance though. Regards Two Hoots.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Glad you resolved your issue.

Thanks for confirming how you solved it too.

That will help others facing the same problem!

Ask a Question