SOLVED Black screen after waking up from sleep or hibernation.

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a problem with sleep and with hibernation. The computer after hibernation starts booting up. There is a first stage of loading, a "wheel" spins. Then the screen switches and stays black.

I can scan the ports through Nmap. Open ports 135, 2179, 3389 are reported as if the computer is running normally. Unfortunately an attempt to connect via RDP fails.

It is the same after waking up from sleep. It seems that the problem occurs when I run more programs. When hibernated or put to sleep immediately after boot, the system wakes up correctly.

I know this is a common problem, but maybe someone knows the right way to debug such problems.

OS version: Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19042 (x64)
Main Board: MS-7C81, Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.

BIOS and all drivers updated

Reaction score
Problem solved. I had to install "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" (SetupRST.exe) and then select this second drive mode. I think it was RST. There is information that this cannot be undone. After this change hibernation and sleep work as expected.

Reaction score
After installing "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" hibernation worked for a couple of days and then finally came the day when wakeup crashed. I decided to wait because it looked like the computer was running and trying to wake up but very slowly.

After several minutes or maybe dozens, the computer woke up and started working normally. Earlier in UEFI I completely disabled C-States but that didn't help. So further experiments with UEFI. I have now set:

Overclocking>Advanced CPU Configuration>Package C State Limit = CO
and
Settings>Advanced>Wake Up Event Setup>Resume by USB Device = Enabled

And already for several days it works, what's more waking up from hibernation is 2 times faster than ever before. I don't understand why disabling C-states didn't help and restricting them did, but who knows maybe Windows installed some updates in the meantime...

Reaction score
Since the problem with this hardware has been solved for some time, I will describe the solution. It may be useful for someone.

The computer during waking up for some time lasted in a state of suspension, the disk blinked, the screen remained black. After a few, sometimes several minutes, it displayed a blue **INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR** screen.

I reinstalled Windows, did a driver update from the manufacturers' websites. Additionally, I did an update using Driver Booster. The machine got a new power supply and a new processor. This did not solve the problem. I decided to learn more about what and how to extract the minidump file (C:\Windows\Minidump\).

BlueScreenView the only thing it said was an error occurred in the Windows kernel `ntoskrnl.exe`. Such an error does not point to a specific hardware driver, so that nothing is known further.

A look through the web led me to debugging software from Microsoft, namely `WinDbg` https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/debugger-download-tools

In `WinDbg` there is an option to `Open Crash Dump` . The program analysed the dump file for a while and then displayed `For analysis of this file, run !analyze -v` After executing the command, further analysis followed, which displayed a number of further possibilities. I clicked on them. `BLACKBOXPNP: 1 (!blackboxpnp)` revealed something interesting

PnpEventInformation: 3
PnpEventInProgress : 0
PnpProblemCode : 24
PnpVetoType : 0
DeviceId : DISPLAY\PHLC0B3\4&12ab9f96&0&UID206371
VetoString :

I'm not quite sure what the issue is, but in the `DeviceId` there is a clear indication of the second monitor, which is a Phillips.

I unplugged that monitor, plugged in another one and problem solved :) Simple, but who would have guessed that the reason for the blue screen is the monitor. I don't know if it's a problem with this monitor or with Intel drivers.

Ask a Question