Black screen after Windows 10 upgrade

Reaction score
Hi,

I own a laptop - it's a Dell Studio 1558 which has been running happily on Windows 7 for the last few years. Unfortunately I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 recently since it's been running problem-free on our desktop.

Initially everything worked well, but after about 2 weeks the screen on the laptop just went black. I can switch it on, yet the only sign of life is the noise of the ventilator.
I have tried all the usual tricks (keeping the switch off-button pressed for 30 seconds, typing in the password regardless of the screen staying black, increasing screen brightness, connecting an external computer screen) but so far nothing has worked. Some people have suggested re-installing Windows 10 from a USB-stick, but even when that is inserted the screen stays black.

It would be nice to get a few more years out of my laptop so if you have any bright ideas please get in touch.

Regards,
CK

Reaction score
I presume that you have the machine plugged into the wall just incase that battery has died.

Faint hope. When you connect an external screen did you press the key to switch to that screen?
Is the screen totally black... if you power up the machine in a totally dark room is there ANY sign that the screen is working at all?
You can hear the fan. If you hold the machine to your ear and turn on the power can you hear the disk click? Should hear at least one click and the sound of the disk motor

Sounds as if the power supply has died or, less likely, that the actual on-off button has died. I would take it to the local Dell service plac.

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. The laptop was plugged in during power-up. I didn't know you had to press a special key to switch to an external monitor but have since repeated the operation whilst pressing the 'windows' and 'D'-key, but it didn't make a difference.

I can hear the disc click every time I power up. The only thing I haven't tried is powering up in a dark room. Will look at that tonight but I'm pretty much resigned to a trip to the local pc repair shop.

Ask a Question