Black Screen And Cursor

Reaction score
So I attempted to fix the "drivers not responding and has successfully recovered" issue whenever I launched a game, by going to " Device Manager", selecting "Display Adapter", and updated my intel display driver. I was in about to update my nvidia driver when I selected to update the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" instead. So I just went with it. After the installation bar was filled the monitor turned black for about 8 seconds, followed by a change in the monitor's resolution, and then finally crashing. After I shut down my pc and then begin to reboot it, the rebooting process was longer than usual and then came the windows start up sound along with the black screen and cursor. I've been everything to fix the issue but nothing seems to work. I have looked online for solutions but none seem to work. I have tried rebooting in safe mode but I can't seem to bring myself to the startup options. I have tried to get into task manager but it doesn't work If there's anyone out there that knows how to fix this issue, please respond

I run an Alienware X51 PC

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Boot from the installation media and use Troubleshooting -> Advanced options -> Startup settings, to boot the system into Safe Mode, then use Device Manager to remove the problem Display adapter and reboot normally.

Ask a Question