Black screen with cursor

Reaction score
I've seen similar problems to this. I've been troubleshooting, but haven't been able to figure out what's happening.

Main specs of my system:

MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 LGA 1155.
CPU: Intel Core I7-3770K Ivy Bridge
GPU: Two Gigabyte GTX 670s in SLI
Windows 10 is on my SSD: which is an OCZ Vertex 4 128GB

I originally had Windows 7. Windows 10 automatically installed itself 4 months ago while I was at work and I kept it. It's been fine until last night. I don't have a way of reinstalling the OS for free... Otherwise I would. I only use the SSD for the OS any who.

I copied a news link and pasted it into my browser and my screen went black immediately. The mouse cursor was still on the screen.

I restarted my computer multiple times. Once it gets through the load screen (blue windows logo, with white loading circle) the screen remains black and the cursor shows up. If I press enter, then type my password, then hit enter it shows a loading cursor as if I just logged in.

I unplugged my other monitors. and tried to log in blind and press Windows key + P then the down arrow twice then enter. To try and extend the display. That didn't work.

I'm not quite sure what the issue is.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't have a way of reinstalling the OS for free... Otherwise I would
Actually you do.
IF you have been running Windows 10 as you've indicated above, then you can reinstall Windows 10 whenever you want.

You're going to need access to another running computer (friend, relative, neighbor, etc.,) from which you can create bootable media to perform the installation from.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-WaTVja5C7z2Vs7q82apCPg)()
Use the media creation tool as described in the section labeled
"Use the tool to create installation media"

Once you have the installation media and are able to boot the problem PC from it, you might want to try
Startup Repair, or System Recovery or one of the other selections that you can get to from the second page of the installation, following the Language and Keyboard page, "Repair your PC" link -> Troubleshooting -> Advanced Options.

Ask a Question