Boot Dell Win10 Laptop from USB

Reaction score
I figured out how to get into the BIOS, but changing the boot options is way different now. To set up to boot from a USB you have to make entries into a form. One entry is to name the device; no problem. But then it wants a file name. How do we know what file/filename?
JC

Reaction score
I am not quite with you on that. I use Dells, although the newest is two years old, but I only need to change the boot order - no file names etc involved.
But, if this in on a temporary basis, if you start tapping F12 on initial start, you will enter an advanced start menu, which will give you the option to boot from the USB.
For curiosity, why do you want to do that?

Reaction score
JerryC, what you are seeing is a way to add a permanent boot option, being done on some systems which show the "no boot device found" message. You still need to use the F12 option during boot for one time boot devices.

A boot device is read very early in the boot process so it has to be available at that time. If you are not seeing the USB drive in the Boot Device Menu, it may not be set up correctly.

Reaction score
Correct. Try the F12. If no USB showing, then, there lies the problem.

Ask a Question