Booting into Windows 10 "SAFEMODE" F8 No now you have total insanity.

Reaction score
I have exhausted all PATIENTS with Windows 10 and after eight months of insanity the last straw is wanting to do a simple task like booting into “safe mode”. OK just boot pressing F8 and good to go right? Of course not. Just like 100 different insane sick changes they couldn’t even keep a simple F8 for safe mode. I’m done. I can’t take any more. Between fat lazy office with useless ribbons and tabs and now Windows 10 after thirty years of Microsoft I have had enough. What’s worse Microsoft could care less what the millions of their customers think. It now takes an act of god just to boot into safe mode. REALLY? I’m reloading my Windows 7 Ultimate and Office 2003. I will then become truly productive once again as theses where the final products that were worth a damn.

Reaction score
You can boot into Safe Mode by using the boot options on the Recovery page.

Otherwise, because Win 10 thinks booting quickly is important, it may bypass some options. What key combination gets you into safe mode will vary with the system and even exactly when you hit the key. So, you can try using the Settings-Update & Security-Recovery options. The Advanced Startup should give you that option if you system is set up correctly.

Reaction score
It's frustrating to say the least. I use msconfig and select boot safe mode. Works for me.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I kinda like this method
https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/enable-f8-safe-mode-boot-menu.8/
Just tested it again on the latest insider build and it still seems to work as advertised.
Unfortunately and although still rare, it appears that some system manufacturers have co-opted the F8 key to evoke their system utilities screens.
Not sure which ones, maybe someone has a list but it still works on all of mine out of the box.
The nice thing about it is, that you can do it in advance from within an admin command prompt or you can do it using the installation media, advanced troubleshooting options command prompt

Reaction score
Trouble great link but a bit fussy. I find msconfig easier to perform or remember. type ms config, select Boot Options Tab, check safe boot.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep...... agreed, but.....
IF you have a machine that won't boot, then it kinda makes it hard to get to msconfig.
The method above can be performed from the Advanced Troubleshooting Options Command Prompt that you can get to by booting from the installation media.
So, while not overly elegant it makes for just one more arrow in your quiver to perhaps get into Safe Mode on a machine that won't boot.

Reaction score
Yep...... agreed, but.....
IF you have a machine that won't boot, then it kinda makes it hard to get to msconfig.
The method above can be performed from the Advanced Troubleshooting Options Command Prompt that you can get to by booting from the installation media.
So, while not overly elegant it makes for just one more arrow in your quiver to perhaps get into Safe Mode on a machine that won't boot.

Trouble I have to agree with you. That extra arrow in your quiver can be a life saver.

Reaction score
I have read that it doesn't work for all (as usual!) but, if you can at least get to the login screen, holding down shift and restarting gets you to the advanced boot menu. There you can progress through, as normal, to safe mode. This key combination works for the desktop restart as well as the login window.

Reaction score
Well it used to be that safe mode and BIOS menu were different depending on which brand of PC you had. Now it's included in Windows. Like you said you are used to F8 well i had a PC that used F12.

Reaction score
Hey peeps, I did the msconfig and checked start in safe mode. Then after doing what I needed to do in safe mode, scanning for bugs and not finding any, I restarted and now it's stuck in safe mode. I type in msconfig now and it's not there. I go to settings, updates & security, recovery, advance startup-restart now. I then get the menu at startup for different safe modes, but nothing to start normal. Now what, any ideas?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Perhaps try a System Restore to a point in time before you made the initial changes?

Reaction score
You are in still in the safe mode. Reverse what you did in the safe mode, that is, return to Normal Start Up and restart the PC

Reaction score
Never mind guys, I did it the hard way and imto C:\Windows\System32 folder, and clicked on cmd.exe. Back to normal

Ask a Question