SOLVED Bootmgr missing problem

Reaction score
I recently upgraded from Windows 7, and today, my computer froze. When I rebooted, I got a message saying "Bootmgr is missing." I made a recovery disk, but when I try to use it, the startup repair says it can't do it, and when I try the system restore, it says the disk is locked.

I tried reinstalling from scratch, but I when I try it, it shows me the drives I can reinstall Windows on, but it doesn't show the SSD where Windows 10 is (or was), only my hard drives.

I tried going in through the command prompt to unlock the disk, but I can't find anything that looks like my SSD (although it's listed in the BIOS). Sorry, I'm afraid this description is too vague, but I'm not sure exactly what info people need to help.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The only thing I might suggest at this point would be to go into the System Setup Utility (BIOS), and......
Investigate the current setting of your hard disk controller "MODE".
Make a note of its' current setting and then experiment with other settings.
Change it from RAID to SATA or SATA to SATA / IDE or Native IDE
Save (F10) and exit after making each change and see if the system will boot

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the suggestion, but it didn't help. I've discovered that there's also a problem with the computer not detecting the SSD. When I turn on the power and boot up, it detects it, but when I do a reboot, it's gone. I guess that's why it doesn't show up when I try to reinstall Windows 10. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Did the computer come with a factory recovery partition that you can access to restore the whole computer to its' factory state?

Why don't you try booting outside of Windows with something like
http://www.partitionwizard.com/comparison.html
See what that shows with respect to drives and partitions.
You could even conceivably use the copy disk/partition feature to save any critical files if you have an external resource of the appropriate size to copy to.

Then you can use it to clean the disk, delete or format partitions, etc. In preparation to perform a clean install of Windows 7 or Windows 10 if you had it running long enough to have it activated.

Ask a Question