BSOD: Memory Management Error

Reaction score
Hi, I just recently upgraded the motherboard, hard drive, power supply, processor, graphic card, RAM and DVD drive. I had it upgraded at a electronics super store called Fry's Electronics. Anyways I originally had windows 7 installed on the old hard drive, but the guy said I might be eligible for windows 10 "free" upgrade. So I told him if he can get for free then put it on there. Well I took my PC in on 12/11/2016 and it was ready for pick up on the 13th. I found out there was update released by Microsoft on both or one of those dates.. well I've had my PC for 6 days now and I've been experiencing crashes daily sometimes in short 30-60 minute sessions. At first I was getting BSOD from a cumulative update, the automatic update failed the installion and would crash. Tried multiple times,'same result. So I then decided to manually install it and it worked and haven't had the cumulative update error. Now the BSOD's happen less, but now the error always says MEMORY Management Error. This usually happens to me when I start a game, mid game, or leaving CPU idle after playing a game. I was wondering I can do to fix this, I hope I find some help. Thanks.

Reaction score
That does not sound like an 'upgrade' that sounds like a new PC in an old case. ( I have done that after the free period ended and shelled out for a legitimate W10 ) I would suspect that your version of W10 is not quite legitimate as 12/11 or 11/12 2016 is after the free update period so I'd imagine the guy just copied from another machine to yours. I guess that you are missing a chipset driver or something like that as you version of W10 was never properly installed.
When you say 'manually installed' I guess you mean the cumulative update?

Did Fry's give you all the disks and info on the new parts especially the disk that would have come with the motherboard? Do you have a disk or thumb drive of W10. What is the version from WinVer.

Are all the drivers for Graphics and network upto date from their manufacturers websites?

Reaction score
That does not sound like an 'upgrade' that sounds like a new PC in an old case. ( I have done that after the free period ended and shelled out for a legitimate W10 ) I would suspect that your version of W10 is not quite legitimate as 12/11 or 11/12 2016 is after the free update period so I'd imagine the guy just copied from another machine to yours. I guess that you are missing a chipset driver or something like that as you version of W10 was never properly installed.
When you say 'manually installed' I guess you mean the cumulative update?

Did Fry's give you all the disks and info on the new parts especially the disk that would have come with the motherboard? Do you have a disk or thumb drive of W10. What is the version from WinVer.

Are all the drivers for Graphics and network upto date from their manufacturers websites?
Yea I had a feeling it might've been copied. He did state there's a way around getting windows 10 free upgrade.

I did manually install the cumulative update because that was what originally was causing the BSOD's. After I did it manually the BSOD's became a the new error which was MEMORY Mgment.

I have the boxes and old hardware. I just haven't looked in the boxes for software. I'll have to try that. If I don't I'll probably will have to purchase windows 10.

I even used the old hard drive and the cumulative update error BSOD. He said he heard a grinding noise after the rebuild, but said it should be okay for awhile. Once I was getting the error while playing games went and bought the new hard drive and he said while installing windows 10 it wouldn't install, but when he used the old HD that had windows 7 which was upgraded to windows 10 worked when he tried it on the new hard drive.

I've done MEMORY tests and no errors found, and I've updated the drivers for my video card, and went to device manager and checked if all the drivers were up to date, the only that didn't update was Realtek audio, but the sound was fine so you know.

So you suggest a brand new copy of windows 10 or there might be a fix?

Reaction score
You bought a new hard drive yes? A spinner?

Everything else in the case is new you say. You have access to uptodate drivers...even if you have to redownload them.

There might be a fix for your W10 install but how can you trust it?

What I would do would be to buy a new OEM W10 disk or thumb drive and a 256 Gb SSD (really cheap now). Install the SSD as C: ( in the first SATA slot and the new HDD in the 2nd slot. Do NOT install any 3rd party Antivirus ( use Defender and MAlwareBytes).

Then you'd have a brand new fast machine with a legal OS and I bet it would then work properly. If you haven't had a PC with an SSD you will be surprised in the speed difference. I have that combo and I have set my downloads folder to the HDD to not fill up the SSD

Reaction score
No. From your post, you refreshed every part of your PC except the mouse, keyboard and display. All I am saying is that if the new disk you bought is an HDD rather than an SSD you might blow a bit more cash on having an SSD as well for speed. That's all.

Reaction score
One of the causes of this blue screen error could be recent changes you’ve made to your system. If you’ve added new hardware or software to your system recently, remove them to see if the problem is fixed.
Check the Error is fixed if it’s not then going the next method.
https://www.errorsolutions.tech/error/memory-management-error-windows-10/
Solution 1. Test random access memory (RAM) using Windows Memory Diagnostic

Reaction score
Windows 10 Professional with all Microsoft UPDATES.

I am having the same error. My system is completely legal and legitimate and I have made NO HARDWARE changes. Thiis s a production system that has only been updated by Microsoft via Update (except for Windows 10 Professional free upgrade). The system is not a user built system, but an ASUS computer that came with a keyboard and a mouse and had Windows 7 installed. When the free upgrade was offered to Windows 10, I took advantage of it and the system has run pitchout errors until about 4 months ago when these BSOD Memory management errors cropped up. It is connected to a UPS, so there have been no power outages and even if there was one, I am configured to NOT auto re-start after power failure.

I have run exhaustive diagnostics on the ram and other parts of the motherboard that I couldwith various diagnostic packages and there have been no errors reported.

I have looked at various fixes found with a Google and Duck-Duck-Go searches, but after looking at each one, did not impleent them as some looked screwy and otghers did not apply to my system configuration.

HELP!!!

Ask a Question