BSOD using W7 image in FCU

Reaction score
So its been a while since I've been on, but have one I can't seem to figure out.

Since updating to the FCU version of W10 all seemed fine, everything worked, no problems seen. However, ever since the update, I've been trying to run the W7 image program (built into W10) with no success. It worked fine in Creators version.

Before I go much further, YES, I know there are other imaging programs, have used several, and still use AOMEI now , which btw does work fine doing image's, so its not the drive.

So anyway I checked the external drive, no errors, did a defrag just to try that, Tried renaming the last image folder, Nothing worked there.

Checked the log files/error only seen where it said the system wasn't shut down properly, well duh, I guess not whaen all that was available was the off button with the BSOD up.

Didn't add any new hardware (which is one of the items that it said could cause this)

So I really don't need a mess of cut and past info, already googled that myself. What I need is to see if anybody else has run into this since updating to FCU and uses W7 image to backup on an external drive. Or has an external drive that they can test to see if they find the same thing happening.

The error that shows on the BSOD is: "UNEXPECTED KERNAL MODE TRAP" no numbers

Only thing I haven't tried is to reformat the USB drive, but than again it seems like over kill since its working fine, have checked it, and my other image program does what its supposed to on it.

Reaction score
HI Hoody,

can you boot okay from a USB/DVD?, if you can, have you tried repairing the system using the onboard repair tools like reset?. Other than that, I don't have anything to offer; sorry!. :)

Reaction score
HI Hoody,

can you boot okay from a USB/DVD?, if you can, have you tried repairing the system using the onboard repair tools like reset?. Other than that, I don't have anything to offer; sorry!. :)

HY guy, thanks for a reply

Yeah, have ran all the usual items, sfc/scanow. chkdsk/f/r, checked other USB sticks. Like I said, every other imaging program runs fine, just since the FCU update and my trying the W7 built in backup tool for the first time the other day I found this happening, I usually just start it and if it starts up OK, I let it roll and do something else, when I tried it the first time I came back and found the BSOD and nothing to do but hit the on/off switch to get back, and yeah, no problem with re-starts or boot-ups. After re trying several more times It continues to do the same thing, sometimes its right off, sometimes it goes almost to the end.

Other than that one glitch, have seen no other problems with FCU or any other apps/software programs.

That's why I was asking someone that uses W7 imaging if they found this bug, or if nothing else , try it and see if it can be replicated on a USB HD.

Its not a "major" issue, I have already imaged the system using AOMEI, so if there's no solution, I guess I will just stop using W7 built in image and go with the 3rd party tool. I just liked having more than one image from a different imaging program.

Reaction score
Hi Hoody,

I don't use any imaging software for the simple reason that it often creates more problems than it solves (my opinion). I back-up all my important files on a separate partition and on an external USB hub and should I have to re-install, I simply copy all my files over and job done. Imaging software can also take hours which I am not ready to do. :)

Reaction score
I would, with politeness, have to disagree with Wolfie on the comment regarding problems with third party imaging. I run Acronis, and have it on a schedule, but have also tried others with success. When you have everything running to your satisfaction, it makes sense to image the installation, as, in the worst case, you can always come back to that point
Unfortunately, I can not give a solution to your thread problem. I always disable any Windows backup/imaging features, whenever I make a fresh install.

Reaction score
Hi Hoody,

I don't use any imaging software for the simple reason that it often creates more problems than it solves (my opinion). I back-up all my important files on a separate partition and on an external USB hub and should I have to re-install, I simply copy all my files over and job done. Imaging software can also take hours which I am not ready to do. :)

OK, well I have a "lot" of programs and went through a re-install once due to a bad drive, took me 3 days straight, after that, wasn't ever going to go with the so called "clean install" again. Only way I'd deal with what your doing is if I bought a new machine, and just wanted to start off with my personal files. But hy if it works for you that's all you need :)

Reaction score
I would, with politeness, have to disagree with Wolfie on the comment regarding problems with third party imaging. I run Acronis, and have it on a schedule, but have also tried others with success. When you have everything running to your satisfaction, it makes sense to image the installation, as, in the worst case, you can always come back to that point
Unfortunately, I can not give a solution to your thread problem. I always disable any Windows backup/imaging features, whenever I make a fresh install.

I hear ya, have used Acronis also, good program when it works, matter fact I still have V10, which I had installed up to W8.1 And I believe it would still run on FCU. I been thinking of trying the free (full) version that WD has for a D/L, The version is from Dec 16, you can install it if you have any WD drive , USB or internal ( have a external that I use for my image's)

For now I'm back to using the AOMEI pro backupper, its just as good :). Just had an occasion to recover the other day, luckly from a full image I just made. I like to use at least 2 different programs, just in case :) So I may try the ACRONIS again, I also have a pro version of EASEUS, (somewhere).

As for this W7 internal imaging program in W10, it was always good to go until this last OS update. I'll find what the deal is sometime, like I finally figured how to get rid of that stupid "some items are managed by your organization" :)

Ask a Question