BSODs occur during recovery using usb

Reaction score
I am using Window 10. My computer is a Dell Inspiron. I have been getting different BSODs lately. I tried different ways to fix them. None of them worked. I finally decided to do a recovery using usb. But BSODs happened again during recovery. Now I can't boot from the hard disk and I can't complete the recovery process. Can anyone help?

Reaction score
are you sure it is not hardware and besides that it sounds like you did not boot your recovery drive and instead booted to your hard drive and got a BSOD either way what did the BSODs say

Reaction score
I am not if it is a hardware issue. But before I did the recovery, there was a message popped up on the screen said "Recovery. Your computer couldn't turn off properly. The operating system couldn't be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or corrupted. windows\system32\drivers\vmbus.sys. Error code:Oxc0000098. You'll need to use recovery tools."

I did booted from the recovery drive. The recovery process went to 30% then I got a Bsod. It restarted, went to 14%, then another Bsod. It just kept on repeating. So I took out the USB, tried to see if I could boot from hard drive. The computer said there was no bootable drive.

Bsod messages I received when using the USB were:
PNF list corrupt, System service exception, IRQL not less or equal.

Reaction score
UNFORTUNATELY I think you corrupted your hard drive. and a recovery drive may not work but get a new recovery drive and try it again. But use start up repair if it does not work then get a windows installer and keep it we may heed to reinstall it.
Anyway do you have a second computer if so plug your hard drive with a sata cable into a usb port on the second computer and if you can access your files then you can back them up. I will have to think about this. i may see if i can get someone else to help you as well.

Reaction score
You’ve most likely corrupted the installation. Did you clean install Windows by booting from the installation media, choosing to delete all partitions then continue with the installation?
If yes but the BSOD still occurred can you remember what the error code was?

Reaction score
You’ve most likely corrupted the installation. Did you clean install Windows by booting from the installation media, choosing to delete all partitions then continue with the installation?
If yes but the BSOD still occurred can you remember what the error code was?
It didn't ask me to delete all partitions then continue with the installation. The options for Recover from a drive were: 1. Just remove my files 2. Fully cleaned the drive. I picked option 1. The BSOD messages were: PFN list corrupt, System service exception, IRQL not less or equal.

Reaction score
The drive may be faulty or the recovery partition is corrupt.
Did you remove any non essential USB devices?
I’d recommend checking the RAM in case it is loose.
Rest BIOS to default.
As a last resort you can clean install Windows however you would lose all your files & programs so I hope you have these backed up.
Can you boot from the installation media>repair windows>Troubleshoot>Advanced options & see if there are any restore points?

Reaction score
But i don't think that when it is not recognized as bootable volume then start up repair will not fix this. So if you can get to power shell on repair disk then let me know. But I would try installation disk then boot to it and select language and once you have done that in the bottom right corner select repair this computer(or similar) and it should repair your computer.

Reaction score
The drive may be faulty or the recovery partition is corrupt. Did you remove any non essential USB devices? I’d recommend checking the RAM in case it is loose. Rest BIOS to default. As a last resort you can clean install Windows however you would lose all your files & programs so I hope you have these backed up. Can you boot from the installation media>repair windows>Troubleshoot>Advanced options & see if there are any restore points?
The drive may be faulty or the recovery partition is corrupt. Did you remove any non essential USB devices? I’d recommend checking the RAM in case it is loose. Rest BIOS to default. As a last resort you can clean install Windows however you would lose all your files & programs so I hope you have these backed up. Can you boot from the installation media>repair windows>Troubleshoot>Advanced options & see if there are any restore points?

Reaction score
I did remove non essential USB devices. Now I cannot boot from hard drive. It said no boot drive available. How to do a clean installation if I cannot boot from hard drive? Can I use that recovery USB I created from another computer? But then another problem is multiple BSODs occur during recovery. The process never got completed.

Reaction score
But i don't think that when it is not recognized as bootable volume then start up repair will not fix this. So if you can get to power shell on repair disk then let me know. But I would try installation disk then boot to it and select language and once you have done that in the bottom right corner select repair this computer(or similar) and it should repair your computer.
I'll let you know.

Reaction score
You can create USB installation media on another Windows PC & use this to boot the problem PC.
With this you should be able to clean install Windows. You may also be able to reach the troubleshoot options & fix the boot via command prompt.
I suspect you’ll require a new hard drive.

Reaction score
You can create USB installation media on another Windows PC & use this to boot the problem PC.
With this you should be able to clean install Windows. You may also be able to reach the troubleshoot options & fix the boot via command prompt.
I suspect you’ll require a new hard drive.
Thank you for the advice.

Reaction score
I doing a clean installation. During installation, keep getting error code 0x8007025D. windows cannot install required files. Any suggestions?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
But why does the 0x8007025D error occur – and especially during Windows 10 installation via a bootable USB drive? There are several possible reasons, which are briefly explained below:

1. Corrupt installation file. If any file in the image is corrupt, this can cause the installation process to be interrupted. Windows Setup may find it impossible to decode some files, thus causing this error.
  2. Bad USB drive. The bootable device itself might be corrupt. There may be an unreadable or bad sector, which means the data stored in that sector cannot be read.
  3. Bad HDD or SSD sector. Just as the issue may lie with your USB device, your internal storage device may also have problems. If there is a bad sector on your drive, Windows Setup may not be able to copy the necessary files to it, leading to errors like this one.
  4. Damaged or Corrupt RAM. One of the advantages of a clean Windows 10 installation is that it doesn’t compete with other programs for memory space. Since there is nothing on the machine, not even an OS, the installation can have all the system memory to itself. However, if the memory is bad or damaged in some way, it can render this benefit useless. In such a scenario, Windows Setup stops and throws the 0x8007025D error.
SOURCE: https://www.auslogics.com/en/articl...so known,say that this error is linked to USB.

Might be worth a read. Considering some of your earlier posts....
My bet is going to be
Your source drive (the one you are installing from)
OR
Your destination drive (the one you are installing to)

Reaction score
SOURCE: https://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/fix-error-code-0x8007025d-in-windows-10/#:~:text=The 0x8007025D Windows Setup error is also known,say that this error is linked to USB.

My bet is going to be
OR

SOURCE: https://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/fix-error-code-0x8007025d-in-windows-10/#:~:text=The 0x8007025D Windows Setup error is also known,say that this error is linked to USB.

My bet is going to be
OR
Thank you for the information. I'll keep you posted.

Ask a Question