Can a brief power outage shut off my PC?

Reaction score
My pc:
10850K stock 4800mhz stock Kraken X73 good temps
2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP
Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium
Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC
Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming
1 TB SSD

I wanna ask about something. So i plugged my pc in march 2021. All is fine. No pc shutdowns,reboots,pc stable. Had one power outage in june.
But 3 days ago, my pc suddenly shuts off during launching Metro Exodus Enhanced just after cinematic part.
I was wondering if that was my psu or very short for split second power outage?

I had laptop connected to other power cord but laptop doesnt go to battery mode in this moment ( i checked event logs ). Also router plugged to wall dont disconnect internet. And my question is. It was so short power outage for a brief second that only pc went off or it was my psu? Thank you.

But when pc shutdown i saw pc case bottom lights flickered for 1 second.Also monitor flickered for a moment ( flickered for 1 second,10 seconds after shutdown maybe ).

All working fine no shutdowns actually. I tested all games no issues now.

Reaction score
Most computers have their BIOS set to turn off or conversely not to restart upon power failure. Usually not a problem but I have in the past lost a motherboard to the quick power bumps, all machines are on UPS' now to prevent that. A properly setup Notebook should continue working during loss of commercial power, should have at least 2 hours battery power.

Reaction score
I had laptop connected to other power cord but laptop doesnt go to battery mode in this moment ( i checked event logs ). Also router plugged to wall dont disconnect internet. And my question is. It was so short power outage for a brief second that only pc went off or it was my psu? Thank you.

Reaction score
It's hard to say but if it affected only the one computer then it's narrowed to the power for it, could be the PSU.

Reaction score
But why only pc was affected and not laptop ( no battery mode Power was on ) and not router?

Reaction score
Since you say only the pc was affected the issue is somewhere between the wall outlet and the pc, depends upon how it is connected to the power whether through a surge protector [should be] or power bar [yes, they are different]. If only plugged into the wall socket the issue logically must be with the power cord or the PSU or the motherboard. Desktops of the last 15-20 years use an ATX style board and the switch on the front of the case is connected to it with the PSU connected to the board, pressing the switch tells the board to get things started. Back in the '90s and early '00s there were AT boards that had the power switch connected directly to the PSU.

Reaction score
With very short power cuts a lot depends on the PSU. And on where in the cycle the power goes and when it comes back. If the alternating current cycle is crossing zero when there is a 1/2 cycle cut the equipment may not notice. So the guy at the local power company told me.

In my place the cable Co supplied router usually doesn't notice. My PC sometimes will sometimes reboot. The printer doesn't see them.
The clocks on the stove and the microwave always do which is strange.
One of my TVs and sound system is on a surge protector that is very sensitive, that always trips on the slightest interruption.

Ask a Question