SOLVED Forced into BIOS setup after a power outage

Reaction score
Greetings all~

Looking for some advice on how to solve this, if I may.

This is a desktop computer. NOT connected to an Uniteruptable Battery Back up power supply. Just connected via a Surge protector to the outlet.

For SOME reason .. and I can't figure out why. Whenever I have a power outage, storm-related, or if the breakers have to be shut off due to electrical-related work being done, or if I unplug my computer for some reason from the surge protector strip. My computer is completely shut down, using the start menu option to shut down.

When I power it back on to full power. It FORCES me to go into BIOS and run the 'setup utility'. When I do this I notice NOTHING (other than maybe the BIOS time, OCCASIONALLY) has changed. I 'save changes' (IF I have made changes, such as to reset the time to what it should be) I Save changes and exit.

I could COMPLETELY understand if this scenario happened and the power went out IF my computer was ON at the time..... but again this has happened when my computer is SHUT DOWN. NEITHER Sleep nor hibernation is enabled or used at all on my system.

Many times if there is a storm .. or if I know they will have to shut the breakers off in my apartment to do electrical work... I FULLY shut down my computer.

I'm THINKING there is a setting SOMEWHERE that I am missing to keep this from happening, but I can't seem to find the setting either in Windows or in the BIOS.

Any help or advice would be great.

Please note if anyone responds to this. I am going out of town on a trip for a day or so as of tomorrow .. so I may not respond till I get back in a day or so. I WILL try any and all tips and respond when I return.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
~LoneWolf

Reaction score
I agree. I have seen that before on an older pc that was often unplugged from the power.

Reaction score
I second that. After reading Lonewolf's post, that is the only option I can think of. The battery usually is a button cell with a Voltage of 3,3V (most of the time it is a 2032). If you can check the battery and it measures 3V and under, it is time to replace...

Reaction score
Greetings~

Well... I went to the local store yesterday and picked up a CMOS battery ... installed it last night .. and did a 'test' this morning by doing a normal shutdown and switching off the power supply switch AND unplugging the system. In essence, simulating a 'power outage' .

And, it booted NORMALLY as it would/should under normal conditions.

So I will consider this issue solved and mark the thread as such. At least till a REAL outage occurs then we shall see if the issue creeps up again.

Thank you all for the suggestion of replacing the CMOS battery.
~LoneWolf

Reaction score
Hi , Hope someone could help me on this , American megatrends bios reset setting after power loss . In the BIOS, i set a wake-up time to start the computer , but when a power outage happening, he lost all the configuration .

Ask a Question