Windows 10 forced upgrade severly slowed my computer

Reaction score
A few months ago my Windodws 8.1 was upgraded to Windows 10. After the upgrade the computer has been less than optimal. First there is slow down but what is most annoying is that so many actions like clicking inside a browser or even starting a program locks everything for a few seconds before it seems to work. I have updated my display driver which did not help. I am out of options.

Reaction score
Have you tried watching Task Manager or opening the Resource Monitor to watch the system to see if you can pick up what is causing the slowdown?

Something is probably running in the background like some type of scanning utility or indexing. Or it could be some type of a driver problem with not having cleaned out old ones. You might check your system manufacturer and see if they offer Win 10 drivers for your system.

If you watch the CPU percent used when you click on something you might see one area jump so keep the highest percentage on the top of the listing.

There is a program a division of Microsoft provides which can watch your system and log what is happening in real time. It is called Process Monitor and is easy to run but may require a learning curve for you to be able to use it effectively.

Reaction score
Hi,

Posting your PC's specs may help with determining your problem.

Older PC's sometimes appear to upgrade to Win 10 okay but have performance issues. You have been fortunate in that your PC did not completely choke. Have seen many Win 10 upgrades result in blank screens with no way to recover to the previous operating system.

What's happening in "Device Manager"? Are all devices properly identified?

Task Manager should allow you to isolate excessive CPU and memory usage as Saltgrass indicated.

You could try a clean install (back up data and have product keys available when reinstalling third party programs) or try a refresh.

Jaco

Ask a Question