SOLVED EDGE opens briefly and shut off ???

Reaction score
Hi,

One of my friend is having an issue with EDGE.

When he launches it, it opens briefly and shuts off, so he can't use it !

He ran sfc /scannow, nothing was found.
He ran DISM Scanhealth and RestoreHealth but the problem remains ! :(

Then he deleted the EDGE folders and files in users and package, and used this command line : Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}
But it didn't work !
EDGE is still doing the same thing !
Does someone have an idea on how to solve this issue without reinstalling the OS ?

Thank You :)

Regards ;) JAY B.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi JAY B,

If your friend clicks on Start > Settings cog > Apps > Apps & Features then types edge in the Search this list field, they will be able to then see Microsoft Edge on its own in the settings window.
  • In that settings window, left-click once on Microsoft Edge
  • They will now see an additional hyperlinked option: Advanced options
  • Click on Advanced options
  • Now they can either click Repair which will attempt to repair Edge while keeping personal settings and cookies etcetera, or they can click Reset which will completely reset Edge, but at the expense of losing some personal settings.

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32,

He followed your instruction and I did as well.

First we went there :

11yON.png

Then We typed EDGE and we tried Microsoft EDGE and for both of them it says no result was found !

mRVbW.png

May be we were not at the right place ??? :confused:

Thank you :)

Regards ;) JAY B.

P.S.: I tried it on my laptop, same answer ???

Reaction score
His version of Windows 10 is 15063.502

And he had the latest Updates (KB4032188) on August the 2th.

The issue with EDGE started a few days after he upgraded to 1703.

Regedit32

Reaction score
You are in the correct place, but I'm currently testing Windows 10 rs3, so its possible your OS Build does not yet offer these additional support features for Microsoft Edge yet. You are also in a different country / region than me and that too may be a factor.

Can you ask you friend what happens if as soon as they open Edge they repeatedly press Ctrl + T keys?

That will open a new tab in Edge. If it succeeds in opening to a new tab without Edge closing, then that would suggest the Start page is corrupted, and their best bet would be then to click the Settings icon in Edge and reset their Start page.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Oh by the way can you also ask your friend when they tried deleting the Microsoft Edge and using PowerShell commands to reinstall, whether they were doing all this while signed-in with a User account that belongs to the Administrative Group, and whether they did the PowerShell command in Windows PowerShell (Admin) console or via Command Prompt (Admin) console.

Reaction score
Hi,

For now he's gone, but as soon as possible I will ask him to try Ctrl + T, and see if it's working or not.
And I will ask him about the User account and Powershell. (I have to translate this for him) :p

I may have the answer only tomorrow, so I'll get back to you then.

Regards ;) JAY B.

Reaction score
Hi,

He tried the Ctrl + T, and there's nothing happening and EDGE keeps closing ! :(

Concerning the console, he opens cmd (Admin) and enters « Powershell » then press « Enter », and types the command line.

I know it sounds weird ! :confused:

If I was him I would use only Powershell (Admin) or cmd (admin), not both of them at the same time... Well ???
I'll wait for your answer :)

Regards ;) JAY B.

Regedit32

Reaction score
If he is using the Command Prompt (Admin) then enters PowerShell that is fine, as that will leave him with a command prompt PS C:\Windows\System32 > where PS stands for PowerShell.

Microsoft created PowerShell with the older Command Prompt in mind so most of the commands done in Command Prompts can also be done directly into PowerShell albeit, some will be typed with a minor variation.

It's possible that one of the other Windows Universal apps that comes with Windows 10, is triggering this issue, so you can ask your friend to try Registering all the apps - which in effect will reinstall them.

Get your friend to left-click (keeping left mouse button press down) and drag cursor to highlight the following Script code, then once highlighted, to right-click on the highlighted code and select Copy

Code:
# Get all the provisioned packages
$Packages = (get-item 'HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\Applications') | Get-ChildItem

# Filter the list if provided a filter
$PackageFilter = $args[0]
if ([string]::IsNullOrEmpty($PackageFilter)) {
  echo "No filter specified, attempting to re-register all provisioned apps."
}
else {
  $Packages = $Packages | where {$_.Name -like $PackageFilter}
  if ($Packages -eq $null) {
    echo "No provisioned apps match the specified filter."
    exit
  }
  else {
    echo "Registering the provisioned apps that match $PackageFilter"
  }
}
ForEach($Package in $Packages) {

# get package name & path
  $PackageName = $Package | Get-ItemProperty | Select-Object -ExpandProperty PSChildName
  $PackagePath = [System.Environment]::ExpandEnvironmentVariables(($Package | Get-ItemProperty | Select-Object -ExpandProperty Path))

# register the package
  echo "Attempting to register package: $PackageName"

Add-AppxPackage -register $PackagePath -DisableDevelopmentMode
}

Next, in the Command Prompt (Admin), after they have typed PowerShell and pressed Enter so their command prompt says PS C:\WINDOWS\System32 > tell then to press Ctrl + V to paste the copied code into the console.

Next, press Enter key to execute. It will take 30 seconds to 1 minute to complete.

When done, close the Command Prompt and any other open programs, then restart computer.

Now try Edge again.

If it still will not open and remain open, then the next question would be to ask whether they have set any Group Policies (if using Windows 10 Professional or Enterprise), or manually added policies to the Registry if using Windows 10 Home, as some policies may affect the connectivity of a browser to the Network, which can cause symptoms like they are experiencing. If they have set any policies recently, it would be worth disabling those policies and seeing whether or not Edge then works.

Failing that, they may need to download Windows 10 ISO image that matches their current installation of Windows 10, then right-click on the downloaded ISO and select Mount then in the directory that will open in File Manager after mounting the ISO, click the Setup.exe to install Windows 10 over the top of itself.

During this process they will get a chance to request to save files and settings, or to delete them all before it installs.

Reaction score
Hi,

He entered the code and executed it, but he got back an error message about « else » in red.

Here's a screenshot of it :

b5X8p.jpg

Thank you for the explanations about cmd (admin) and Powershell (Admin), I will go to bed a little less stupid tonight ! :p:D

It says that « else » is not recognized as a cmdlet name, function, script file, or executable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path exists, verify that the path is correct and try again.

So, what do you think about this ?
If you have any idea ? I'm listening ! :)

Thanks for your help ! :)

Regards ;) JAY B.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes that is correct. Else is not a Cmdlet, and you would not normally see that, but for the fact he is pasting the script into the console.

Just tell him to press Enter key -- it will run

Reaction score
hi,

He said that he got that error message in red after he had pressed the Enter key.

Should he press Enter again, after receiving that message in red ?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes press Enter again if needed.

I get the error if I right-click to paste the script into the console, but if I press Ctrl + V to paste it the error does not appear until I press Enter, then pressing Enter again works fine.

If it will not work at all, then I'll compile it into an executable and upload that here for you.

Reaction score
Hi,

This is why its a lot easier to use PowerShell directly or PowerShell ISE :)

That's why I was surprised to see the way he was doing it. Usually, I use cmd (Admin) or Powershell (Admin), not both of them at the same time ! o_O

So, I told him to press « Enter » a second time.

then I'll compile it into an executable and upload that here for you.

It would be very nice, if you don't mind ?!??
Just in case... I'll get back to give you the result.

Thanks for Your concern ! :)

Reaction score
Hi,

You won't believe this ! :mad:

He tried to remove EDGE again with a third party utility, and it worked !
Then he tried to install it back and it won't reinstall !!!

So, he doesn't have EDGE anymore !!! And he wants it back !

How can he reinstall EDGE ?

I'm very sorry about this situation.

I'll keep you informed.

THANK YOU :)

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'd need to know what he used to remove Edge as there are some utilities out there that strip the Windows image completely of Edge, which would require him to reinstall Windows 10, while others simply hide Edge by disabling its registration.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Attached is a compiled version of the Script.
  • Download the zipped copy
  • Scan with your anti virus software
  • When happy its safe, right-click and select Extract all
  • That will create a new folder in same location with name of zipped file.
  • Open new folder and right-click the reinstall-preinstalledApps.exe file and select Run as administrator

Attachments

• reinstall-preinstalledApps.zip
    128.2 KB · Views: 371

Regedit32

Reaction score
I had a feeling he may have found that particular tool.

That uses another programmers tool called WinTweak to remove packages and hide them from the WIM ISO.

Your friend will now need to download a matching Windows 10 ISO to what he is currently using, then mount the ISO and run Setup.exe to install Windows 10 over the top of itself.

During this process he can choose to save files and settings, or start completely fresh.

Our Article section has instructions on how to get the correct ISO download etcetera.

Ask a Question