Can Not Add Second Microsoft Account To My Profile

bj1

Reaction score
after doing the anniversary update i am unable to "add microsoft account".

when i go to settings>accounts>your info i do NOT have the option of "other accounts you use" or any of the options below.
when i go to settings>accounts>email & app accounts in the area that says " accounts used by other apps" i have the option to "add microsoft account" BUT when i press there i get a windows that pops up and dissapears real fast.
when i go to the xbox tile and try to sign in with my xbox account i get the same window pop up and vanish real fast.

now i do have 1 microsoft account signed in. on all of the above. but before the anniversary update i had 2 different microsoft accounts logged in. 1 an @live account the other an @msn account. and they both worked perfectly.

please help.

Reaction score
For creating new user profile you should be logged in as an Administrator. Make sure you have logged as administrator.

bj1

Reaction score
do you mean local administrator account?

when i go to computer management counsel>local users and groups> users the account i am logged into IS a member of administrators and users.

i am not trying to create a new user profile.

before the windows 10 anniversary update i had my machine set up the way i wanted it.

when i set up the machine it asked for a windows live id. i provided this. then once i was logged in it asked for "other accounts you use" and i provided @msn email address.

this linked BOTH of these accounts together on my 1 user profile.

after the windows anniversary update 1 of the email accounts is no longer linked to the profile.

when i try to go to settings>accounts>Email & app accounts

there is a section there that says

"accounts used by other apps"

add a microsoft account

( it shows 1 microsoft account here. before the update it showed 2)

when i press on "add a microsoft account" i get a small window pop up that is completely black. it does not stay on the screen longer than 5 seconds before it vanishes.

i have also noticed that i am unable to add gmail and msn accounts to the email section. programs are not instaling properly. and a host of other problems.

now i have made a new administrator account and when i log into this new account and go to "add microsoft account" i get the PROPER window pop up that does not vanish.

i really do not want to have to format the drive and reinstall windows 10. and i dont want to have to recreate my user profile again. is there a fix or am i SOL?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In both your posts you've mention the "Anniversary Update".
There have been multiple subsequent updates to Windows 10, post Anniversary Update.
Could you....
Right click the Start Button and choose "Run" from the context menu and then type
winver
into the run dialog box and hit enter or Click OK
So we can see which version of Windows 10 you are currently using.

Capture2.PNG

Should look something like this.

Ask a Question