Cannot boot from USB windows 10 install on my desktop (but works on laptop)

Reaction score
So, my windows is stuck on version 1909 and windows update is broken and I've tried just about everything to get it to update with no success. So I thought I'd try a fresh install. So I used the windows media creation tool to create a bootable usb install of the latest version of windows (may 2021).

When I try to boot from the usb, it does one of two things:
-absolutely nothing, computer just restarts after a few moments.
-shows a blinking cursor at the top left of the screen, very briefly flashes the windows logo for fractions of a second, then shows the blinking cursor a little longer, then flashes the windows logo again and then reboots.

In order to eliminate some variables, I've also tried the following:
-booting off the USB with my laptop, and it works successfully and takes me to the start of windows setup (at which point I cancelled because I don't actually want to install windows again on my laptop). My laptop and desktop are both running the 64 bit version of windows 10 home, so they're the same in that regard.
-loading the windows install onto a different USB stick in case something was wrong with the first one - no difference was made

This is the motherboard I am using: GA-AB350-Gaming (rev. 1.x) Gallery | Motherboard - GIGABYTE U.S.A.

I've attached 2 images of my bios screen, showing two different setting options I've tried but neither work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• gigabyte BIOS-1.jpg
    gigabyte BIOS-1.jpg
    706.6 KB · Views: 104
  • gigabyte BIOS-2.jpg
    gigabyte BIOS-2.jpg
    705.6 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes. And I also tried Rufus
With Windows only use the Media Creation tool, that makes the drive bootable. You don't need to use Rufus with Windows.

I would buy a new USB stick then. The fact that it works on another laptop doesn't prove that it's good.

Reaction score
"that makes the drive bootable."

Haven't done it for some weeks, but I think that is an alternative, with others, you are offered before the download starts-
But the op seems to have done that anyway? His bios pictures are not anything with which I am familiar, but it does look as if he has the USB included in the boot sequence?

Reaction score
With Windows only use the Media Creation tool, that makes the drive bootable. You don't need to use Rufus with Windows.

I would buy a new USB stick then. The fact that it works on another laptop doesn't prove that it's good.
I only tried Rufus as an alternative to try more things. I still used media creation tool first and that didn't work. I also already did go and buy a second usb to rule out that possibility as well and it didn't work either.

Reaction score
So, my windows is stuck on version 1909 and windows update is broken and I've tried just about everything to get it to update with no success. So I thought I'd try a fresh install. So I used the windows media creation tool to create a bootable usb install of the latest version of windows (may 2021).

When I try to boot from the usb, it does one of two things:
-absolutely nothing, computer just restarts after a few moments.
-shows a blinking cursor at the top left of the screen, very briefly flashes the windows logo for fractions of a second, then shows the blinking cursor a little longer, then flashes the windows logo again and then reboots.

In order to eliminate some variables, I've also tried the following:
-booting off the USB with my laptop, and it works successfully and takes me to the start of windows setup (at which point I cancelled because I don't actually want to install windows again on my laptop). My laptop and desktop are both running the 64 bit version of windows 10 home, so they're the same in that regard.
-loading the windows install onto a different USB stick in case something was wrong with the first one - no difference was made

This is the motherboard I am using: GA-AB350-Gaming (rev. 1.x) Gallery | Motherboard - GIGABYTE U.S.A.

I've attached 2 images of my bios screen, showing two different setting options I've tried but neither work.

Any help would be appreciated.
Di you try running the flash drive from the windows. That way you don't lose anything. Just open the flash drive like you want a file and click setup.
After you finish and make sure everything is ok, then run Dick Cleaner, click to clean systems files and delete the older version to free up a large chunk of the HDD.
If you want to do a clean, have you tried the 1 time boot menu. I can't tell you where it is unless you have a dell or a lenovo.

Reaction score
Di you try running the flash drive from the windows. That way you don't lose anything. Just open the flash drive like you want a file and click setup.
After you finish and make sure everything is ok, then run Dick Cleaner, click to clean systems files and delete the older version to free up a large chunk of the HDD.
If you want to do a clean, have you tried the 1 time boot menu. I can't tell you where it is unless you have a dell or a lenovo.

I take it you mean Disk Cleaner .. LoL

Reaction score
I was under the impression that you could only use the Windows Media Creation Tool if you were on version 20H2 of Windows 10, which you can't get to as update is not working for you. Not sure if this is correct. Perhaps someone from MS will reply eventually.

Ask a Question