Notebook cannot reboot after successfull Windows 10 Home Pro installation

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've just bought a new SSD (Samsung EVO 850 250GB) for my Dell XPS 15 (L521x). After I inserted it into my laptop i intalled Windows 10 Home Pro. The installation process happened without any error, the laptop restarted several times (which is normal during the installation) and then booted to the desktop. again, no error whatsover. now, when i try to turn off or reboot my laptop, it is not able to power off automatically (i've waited for over an hour). so i have to power it off forcefully by pressing the power button for several seconds). if i want to reboot the laptop, it gets stuck at the dell logo, the little circle is spinning but nothing else is happening.

The current bios version is up to date (A16), SATA operation mode is AHCI, according to Samsung Magician (which i was able to install) everything is configured correctly.

Has anyone an idea what the error might be?

Best regards,
Thomas

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Have you tried to turn it off by pressing ALT+f4 rather than how you are doing it.
Also try and get into Safe mode and see if you are able to enter windows that way

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I just had this problem with my sister's one year old dell desktop with wifi.
She had a shut down / restart issue and believe it or not it was her dell wireless card (actually an Atheros chipset) after I updated that the problem seemed to disappear.

Maybe uninstall Samsung magician as a temporary test. Dispense with its' proprietary energy saver plan and flip over to the native Windows high performance plan and see if that makes any difference.

Ask a Question