Curious Notebook Options

Reaction score
I just upgrade my daughters Acer Aspire to Win 10. It has no CD drive, it was painful downloading over the internet. All went well, however, it was a tad longer than as ISO upgrade. LOL
Question: I'm no PC expert, seeing it has no CD drive, what options do I have of reinstalling after the free upgrade period expires. I did create a restore point and disk image.
Is that all I can do, with this machine.; that is, perform a reinstall from the disk image, are there any other options I could pursue. It's no big deal, as she only the Acer occasionally, or when the kids are hogging the desktop PC. Actually I'm quite impressed with it's performance with Windows 10.

Reaction score
The download of Windows 10 is permanent - no free upgrade period as such. So, you don't need to worry about any re-install of Windows 10. It's yours forever.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
seeing it has no CD drive, what options do I have of reinstalling after the free upgrade period expires.
Most people without a DVD (optical) drive have generally graduated to burning the ISO to a USB thumb drive to facilitate upgrading, installing, repairing, booting etc.
Most computers support booting from USB media. As a matter of fact, one of the Retail options when purchasing the Windows 10 OS is a USB thumb drive.

Reaction score
Trouble Thank's! I never realized you could burn an ISO image to a thumb drive, never even attempted it. I've always used DVD optical drives. The thumb drive would have to be a decent size.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The thumb drive would have to be a decent size.
Yep.... they say 4 gigs is sufficient. I suspect that "they" maybe underestimating as most 4 gig flash drives are not actually 4 gigs.
I maintain several and all of mine are 8 gigs or larger.
I also use Rufus to create the installation media from the ISO http://rufus.akeo.ie/
It allows a bit of flexibility for customizing to support UEFI / GPT systems as well as older Legacy BIOS systems.

Rufus.JPG

Above for UEFI / GPT or adjust items #2 and #3 for legacy BIOS / MBR systems

Ask a Question