SOLVED Selling notebook (with free upgrade to Win10). What to do now?

Reaction score
Hear me out.

This isn´t the first time i will be getting rid of an old machine so I understand the need to back up files and delete this and that.
That said. Here´s my situation. Eversince i´ve upgraded from Win7 onto Win10, i have now to unlock my machine using my msn email and password associated with it.

The million dollar question is: what do i do? Meaning, what are the changes and how to change the current login name and password before selling said machine?

Well, thanks in advance for reading and all the answers, with ideas, suggestions and your opionion. Thank you.

Reaction score
Another idea: create a local account on that PC and you might be able to delete the MS account. A MS account is not needed on Windows 10 unless you want to use features like Cortana.

Reaction score
Wouldn't you say that Trouble's 2nd suggestion would be the ultimate? No problems then!!

Reaction score
What are you looking for?
As davehc pointed out, Troubles suggestion would be the ultimate.

Reaction score
Ok. Create a local account:? How??

2017-01-04_205504.jpg

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd strongly suggest going with @Trouble's suggestion - it'll solve the problem and clean all your data from the laptop so the next person can use it without your data. You'll have a fresh Windows 10 install for them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have never used the "reset" option. Does that also remove the browsing/cookie data. There is a wealth of info in those. That would include the Temp &;Offline Web pages which sit in the Windows folder

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have never used the "reset" option. Does that also remove the browsing/cookie data. There is a wealth of info in those. That would include the Temp &;Offline Web pages which sit in the Windows folder

From what I understand the "Remove files and clean drive" option will reset Windows back to a clean install and remove any other information on the drive. Personally, I'd do a fresh install from a USB/DVD just to be sure, but the option does suggest that this is the one to go for if recycling the PC:

Capture.PNG

Once selecting that it says:

2Capture.PNG

Reaction score
I have to agree with "resetting" the PC. It is a safe way to destroy all your own data (beside reinstalling the OS)....

Reaction score
From what I understand the "Remove files and clean drive" option will reset Windows back to a clean install and remove any other information on the drive. Personally, I'd do a fresh install from a USB/DVD just to be sure, but the option does suggest that this is the one to go for if recycling the PC:

View attachment 4605

Once selecting that it says:

View attachment 4606

Sounds like the best option. Yet, I wonder if Windows 10 will be deleted. See, this is originally a WIn7. Win10 was upgraded (for free).

Reaction score
Sounds like the best option. Yet, I wonder if Windows 10 will be deleted. See, this is originally a WIn7. Win10 was upgraded (for free).
I do not think so. In theory at least it should go back to the fresh Windows 10 install but that is just a wild guess as my systems have been fresh installed after I got the free key...

Reaction score
Hear me out.

This isn´t the first time i will be getting rid of an old machine so I understand the need to back up files and delete this and that.
That said. Here´s my situation. Eversince i´ve upgraded from Win7 onto Win10, i have now to unlock my machine using my msn email and password associated with it.

The million dollar question is: what do i do? Meaning, what are the changes and how to change the current login name and password before selling said machine?

Well, thanks in advance for reading and all the answers, with ideas, suggestions and your opionion. Thank you.

Do a fresh/clean install of Windows 10 and don't create a user. Just let the purchaser do that. But back up your stuff because it will clear everything. Plus I would look for the software that wipes your disk like this do run before you do the clean install.

http://www.novadevelopment.com/soft...0314&cc=GOOG&gclid=CMvroNv1utECFVg9gQodTc4MQA

Ask a Question