Boot issue: i cannot run windows anymore, after conneted another SSD

Reaction score
i think i just dont get the idea of how boot works, though i have years of experience with computers.

I have an SSD drive (connected via NVMe) work fine up until:
- i connected another SSD drive (via SATA), then it booted into other windows OP on the sata drive.
- i disconnected the sata drive, expected to go back to the windows installed on the NVMe drive, and got the attached message

btw, recovery tools doesn't fix it.

I just don't have control over the ability to choose which drive it will boot from.
More over, now i can't even recover my main (NVMe) drive.

Attachments

• כגכג.jpg
    כגכג.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 150

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
i connected another SSD drive (via SATA), then it booted into other windows OP on the sata drive.
Possible that something changed in the BIOS.
Double check and confirm that it is set properly to support booting from your preferred drive and OS (secure boot and Windows Boot Manager).
ALSO
Read your motherboard manual and see if there are any unique settings inorder to support booting from the NVMe.
I know on some MoBos using the NVMe connection disables some SATA options.
Perhaps there may be a reverse consequence that needs to be overcome to enable returning to it as a boot option.

Reaction score
i think i just dont get the idea of how boot works, though i have years of experience with computers.

I have an SSD drive (connected via NVMe) work fine up until:
- i connected another SSD drive (via SATA), then it booted into other windows OP on the sata drive.
- i disconnected the sata drive, expected to go back to the windows installed on the NVMe drive, and got the attached message

btw, recovery tools doesn't fix it.

I just don't have control over the ability to choose which drive it will boot from.
More over, now i can't even recover my main (NVMe) drive.
Boot back to BIOS, depends on your System and BIOS, but you have the ability to CHANGE BOOT Device. make sure you set your SSD that you want to Default Priority. usually F10 to save that then reboot, it should now see you OLD SSD - and if your BOOT sequence is still 100% then you should boot to the old NVME and your all set.... it also depends if your BIOs is set as UEFI or Legacy. on which it will or can boot to.
BCDEDIT should allow you to FIX your BOOT - which can be set via Command Prompt from any BOOTABLE Media.

Reaction score
With two OS in your system and not setting up a dual boot program. What you should do on every boot is use the one-time menu, Asus is Esc key Dell is F12 you need to know what yours is! that is once you get your SSD booting again.
As mention earlier check you BIOS for boot priority if that is not the problem BCDEDIT can fix your boot drive again. EasyBCD might be a little easier to use than a command prompt if you're not up using commands https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/
Actually, once your system knows which OS to boot from normally, You then only need the one-time boot menu to boot the other OS
If you plan on keeping both OS it would be best to set up a Dual boot set up. I believe EasyBCD can help with that? been a long time since I ran a dual boot so you may need to google on how to set it up without reinstalling at least one of the OS's

Reaction score
bcdeasy will auto help you set dual boot, just read the how to. you can boot (at least I have - upto 5 different OSs) just read the manual so as not to F***up all. and bcdedit /? give you the command prompts. which is sort of easy once you get the hang of it....

Ask a Question