SOLVED Cannot do a remote desktop on my home network

Reaction score
I have two computers on the same router network. One is wired (called Alienware) and one is wireless (called Dell). Both run on WIN 10. I want to be able to access the Alienware from my Dell. In other words, I want it to be similar to me being able to see the screen of the Alienware, the files there, etc., from my Dell. Both machines are in my home.

I tried doing the remote desktop method following the instructions. I've tried it over and over and cannot get it to work.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
It's possible that one or both are running Windows 10 Home. You will need the Pro version to host a remote desktop session.
You might want to try the build in native Quick Assist application under Windows Accessories.
It's very similar to remote desktop and I think is available on both Home and Pro although I am not absolutely positive.

Reaction score
You might want to try the build in native Quick Assist application under Windows Accessories.
It's very similar to remote desktop and I think is available on both Home and Pro although I am not absolutely positive.
Just a note, my Win10 Home Version 1709 Build 16299.194 has both Quick Assist and Remote Desktop Connection in Windows Accessories.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Windows 10 Home version can perform a remote desktop session, it just cannot support / host a remote desktop session, without some registry modifications and .dll manipulations both of which are unsupported.

Ask a Question