Cannot log in to user account

Reaction score
I accepted an updated yesterday and since then I cannot log in to my user account nor as a guest. It just says incorrect password on both accounts. Also there is no onscreen power button anymore either so I have to manually shut down computer or restart it which does no good. It says reset password but won’t let me do that without a previously made disc.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Tdogg56,

I've had a similar experience a while ago.

Instead of using my normal sign-in password [ which was not being accepted ] I used the password for the email account I have linked with Microsoft which worked.

After signing in and waiting a few minutes, everything synced and I was then able to reset my password, although I had to create a new one as Microsoft will not allow you to use a previous password until you have used 10 different ones.

I've not seen a situation where the power icon is missing though, so if you are able to sign-in using your email password, you may need to consider opening Windows Update > Recovery and choosing to roll back the update to your previous installed version.

Reaction score
I have two computers I use for my business and both updated to the "new" Windows10 experience. Both had my User Profile wiped. When this happened on my laptop three weeks ago, I spent 2.5 hours in an online chat with Microsoft and they "reset" my User Profile. Most (not all) of my settings came over, but I had to reinstall some software, and refresh some settings that were not restored (my email accounts settings in Outlook were gone, but my Bookmarks in Chrome remained). The MS dude told me that the update corrupted my Profile. 2.5 hours of my business productivity down the toilet, and I was out of town so I couldn't even use my desktop.

This week, it was the desktop, and same thing. I followed steps to copy and move over my profile and have my Documents back, but this time, virtually none of my software "appears" to be installed (icons are there, but I need to go through registration and configuration for each), even though I can find the programs on the drive. The best part is even my MS Office doesn't know it is there and registered.

What other company gets away with garbage like this? They have even cannibalized their own software with this half-baked solution.

Any tips on how I might be able to restore my software settings before I spend my Christmas break getting my business computer back to where it needs to be so that I can get to work in 2018? Much appreciated!

Ask a Question