Cannot Log in

Reaction score
I did a "restore to an earlier time" because i was having some issues

after the PC booted up the MS account prompted me to log in.

The account name shown on the screen is an older non-linked account. So whatever password i try to enter it does not accept. Tells me: "this account cannot be found"

I know which account i need to use but I am unable to change the account name because i cannot get into the PC to do anything.

i talked to people at MS support and he told me they can reset it but i will lose all my files and data. I cannot do that.

i find it really hard to believe that MS is set up that way.

Any suggestions on how to switch the account so the sign up page comes up with right one?

I do have another laptop that i can use.

thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The account name shown on the screen is an older non-linked account. So whatever password i try to enter it does not accept. Tells me: "this account cannot be found"
It sounds like you may have taken steps to delete the old account recently and then went back to a point in time where the old account is required, as nothing in the System Restore process should have done anything to any existing account data information.
You might be able to rescue your computer by enabling the normally hidden / disabled Administrator account and use that to possibly fix the password problem on your local user account.
You'll need to boot from the installation media. If you do not have the installation media on hand you can download the ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-WaTVja5C7z2Vs7q82apCPg)()
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.
THEN...
Follow the steps outlined here
http://pureinfotech.com/2015/11/20/how-reset-windows-10-forgotten-password-regain-access-computer/

Ask a Question