Cannot sync Google contacts with People

Reaction score
I am new to Windows and am using Windows 10. I want to sync my Google contacts with People, but no matter what I try, no luck. Everything seems to be set up correctly, but still, no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The People app is tied to your Microsoft Account.
You will first need to log into your Outlook / Hotmail account using your web browser.
From there use the People app from within your web browser to import contacts by clicking "Manage" and then Import and then Gmail
You should see these instructions

Capture1.PNG

You'll need to have first, logged onto your Gmail Account and export your Gmail Contacts to an Outlook.CSV file which you have saved to your computer.

Once that is complete then the Windows People App, after it has successfully sync'd should contain your Gmail Contacts that you've imported into your Microsoft Account.
Assuming you are using the same Microsoft Account locally on your machine, that you've used in the Web Browser.

Reaction score
I think there was some sort of glitch, I had a problem with it yesterday myself, and when I checked, it did say they were having problems and was being fixed, I assume it did get fixed, cause I no longer have the problem.

Reaction score
That was not the original question. I don't want to import my contacts. I want to SYNC the people app with Google contacts. Mail and calendar work fine, but People doesn't.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That was not the original question. I don't want to import my contacts. I want to SYNC the people app with Google contacts. Mail and calendar work fine, but People doesn't.

Since your Mail and Calendar are working, I'm guessing you have put your gmail account in Mail. To check on the People sync, just go to the People App, click on the Hamburger menu on the top left. When your list of email accounts shows up, click on your GMail account. A dialogue box should show up. The first option is 'Check mailbox sync settings'. Click on that and scroll down until your see the three switches for Mail, Calendar and Contacts. Make sure the Contacts one is turned on.
Screenshot (32).png

Reaction score
I'm guessing you forgot to tell me to go to settings first? Anyway, I've done all that. and told it to sync. Still no contacts. I tried to delete the account to start over, but I can't find any way to delete an account.

Reaction score
Well, it just got worse. After an update today, both Calendar and People refuse to sync with Google. Mail still seems to work.
I think I'll give up and go back to the web interface for mail, contacts and calendar. I just don't have time for this crap.

Ask a Question