SOLVED Cannot upgarde to Windows 10

Reaction score
I am running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and am trying to upgrade to WIndows 10. I have the Get Windows 10 app icon in my task bar. I open it and, under the banner 'Microsoft recommends upgrading to Windows 10', I have 2 options: 'Upgrade Now' or 'Start Download, Upgrade Later'.

I click on 'Upgrade Now', I get the blue screen with a 'Starting download' message which eventually stops and I'm presented with the Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Update screen with the message 'Windows is up to date'. (The same thing happens if I click on 'Start Download, Upgrade Later')

I don't want to do a clean install - I want to preserve the applications I already have on my PC.

Question: how am I supposed to get the Windows 10 upgrade?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
First.....
Make sure all your critical data is backed up somewhere safe on external media. Create a disk image also.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
THEN.....
Download the ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to perform the in-place upgrade by simply clicking setup.exe from that media.

Reaction score
Thanks. If I upgrade from an ISO-DVD will I have activation problems? And will I preserve my existing applications?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As long as you perform an in-place upgrade from within your current version of Windows, then it should activate without problems and keep all your current settings, but.....
If you spend any time reading through these forums, then you will notice that not everyone has a trouble free upgrade experience.
Hence my recommendations for a disk image and backup of all your critical data.
When you finish, come back and let us know how you fare.

Reaction score
OK, I'll give it a whirl. I already have a Macrium Reflect backup image of my Win 7 system. I'll let you know what happens.

Reaction score
OK I tried to upgrade. I got as far as entering the Product Key, which is on the label on the back of my laptop, and it says 'This product key didn't work'. So I can't get any further.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you have a qualifying version of Windows Installed (Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 w/update) then when you are prompted for a product key you can simply select the link at the bottom that says some like.....
"I don't have a product key" or "Do this later" and let the in-place upgrade continue.
Afterwards it should activate automatically without any further requirements.

Reaction score
I don't get that option - just an 'Enter Product Key' message.

I have a qualifying version of Windows 7 SP1.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I got as far as entering the Product Key, which is on the label on the back of my laptop, and it says 'This product key didn't work'
Does that label indicate that it is for Windows 7? I ask because some people upgraded from Vista or have upgraded from home version to pro version so the product key on the COA label may not be valid for the upgrade now.
Are you installing the same bit version (32 or 64 bit) that is currently installed on your laptop? I ask because there is no upgrade path from one bit version to another?

Reaction score
The label says 'Windows 7 Pro OA' and it is 64-bit.

The .iso I used is 'Win10 1511 SingleLang English x64.iso'.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Download the ISO again.
This time just pick the top one Windows 10
Not
the bottom one Windows 10 Single Language

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hopefully, when you get it.....
It will say
Win10_1511_English_x64new.iso
That's the one you actually need as it's the latest version.

Reaction score
No, the .iso is titled 'Windows 10 English x64.iso' - at least that's what the icon on my desktop is showing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Did you download it from the techbench link I posted above?

Reaction score
Yes, I did.

Select editon -> Windows 10 -> Select Product Language -> English -> Windows 10 English Download -> 64-bit.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Note the name of the ISO when I download from the techbench link in the screen snip below.

Screenshot (12).png

Reaction score
Sorry I mistyped - the .iso d/loading is 'Win 10 1551 English x64.iso'. which I guess is the correct one.

I'll burn it to a DVD and let you knoww how I progress. Thanks for your help - so far :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sweet.
This thread is beginning to sound like one of the conversations I have often with my wife.

Hopefully, that ISO will do the trick for you.

Reaction score
Well I updated to W10 without a hitch although it took about 3 or 4 hours. At no stage was I asked for a product key.
However after updating a video driver and asking for a restart I have a blue screen with 'Restarting' and revolving dots which has been there for 3/4 hour so far. I'll have to pull the plug since Ctl-Alt-Del doesn't seem to work. Any thoughts/advice?

Ask a Question