Cannot wake up windows 10 from sleep with external mouse and keyboard

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am using a laptop dell vostro 5480. I also use external usb keyboard and mouse. But I cannot wake up the laptop (using window 10) with these external devices. I followed instructions from internet (Device manager/ Keyboard or Mouse / Power Management / And check "Allow this device to wake up the computer), but its does work for me.

Please help me.

Thank you guys so much.

Reaction score
You most likely need to set up the Power Management for each (external mouse and keyboard) device .
Open Ctrl Panel > Mouse >hardware >properties > Change settings > OK >Power Management and place a check mark "Allow this device to wake up the computer > OK. Method for keyboard power management should be the same.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Additionally, as your external input devices likely use a USB connection then you need to check Device Manager
For the power management tab of your USB Hubs and make sure that Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power is not checked

Reaction score
Thank you @Norton and @Trouble for replying. I applied the solution @Norton's solution but unfortunately it still does work for me.

@Trouble: Could you more specific. Because as I see, the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" box is disabled.

Thank you guys so much.

Untitled.jpg

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
@Trouble: Could you more specific. Because as I see, the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" box is disabled.
Your input devices use a USB interface of one kind or another, either a USB dongle to support a wireless connection or a direct usb cable.
In device manager at the bottom you have several devices labeled as USB Hubs.
Each one of those devices, properties dialog boxes have a Power Management Tab, each one can be set to "Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power" or not by checking or unchecking the appropriate box.

I can not be more specific than that because I have no way of telling which particular USB hub your input device(s) is or are using..
The point is... you can uncheck on the individual mouse or keyboard or HID associated device, but if the interface port that it is connected to is still able to save power, then it doesn't make any difference as to how you set that individual device's power management tab. The parent hardware device subsystem will still shut down to save power.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble,

I've tried to set "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" box unchecked for all USB hubs in Devices Manager. But it still doesn't work for my laptop.

Anyway, thank you so much for your time.

Untitled.jpg

Ask a Question