Can't access my desktop from my laptop as of yesterday. Asks 4 pw I don't have!!!

Reaction score
Suddenly Windows won't let me access my own data files!! Thanks Microsoft!! Even my browser default was reset to Microsoft Edge. Who owns this computer anyway?!? Me or Microsoft?!? What the heck is going on?? I click on my network to access my files stored on my desktop (from my laptop - both have Windows 10 which I have learned now to regret) like I always have done and I get "enter network credentials" prompting me for a username & password. I DON'T HAVE A USERNAME AND PASSWORD!!!!! I flippin' hate Microsoft so much! Who in the hell do they think they are? Forcing us all to accept their incompetent updates! IDIOTS!! Who bought this computer anyway? I paid for an operating system not to be locked out of my own files! Any hacker could probably get in through Microsoft security flaws, but they fix it so I can't get at my own data??!!? I uninstalled the most recent "Security" update from my laptop (KB3185614 I think it was and the most recent from my desktop KB319 something) but still can't access my desktop! Had an important project to complete yesterday and had to move file via USB to complete it. Thanks Microsoft! If someone can help me straighten this out and get my computer back to where it was I would greatly appreciate it. Also it apparently rest all my program defaults! What brilliance!! I didn't think anybody could be more incompetent than Microsoft, but apparently they can top their own stupidity!!

Attachments

• capture_001_28092016_160018.jpg
    capture_001_28092016_160018.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 504
Reaction score
What do you mean you don't have a username and password? It is the same username and password that you use if you log into the computer when your are sitting in front of it. If you used a MS email and password, that's what you enter. Even if you are logged into your laptop with the same credentials, it will prompt for them the first time and then remember them after that.

Reaction score
I don't log in with a username & PW - I never have. I of course have a username (correction there) of Tom, which is supposed to have administrator rights. I always left the password blank and set it up not to show the log-in screen at startup. I also (after this problem cropped up) went in my control panel/Network Sharing/Advanced settings and turned off "password protected sharing" just to see if it made a difference, but no I still can't access my network as I am used to doing. So it did nothing. I have Zone Alarm for a firewall (don't trust Microsoft's crappy firewall) and Panda Free Antivirus. Not really worried about a hacker - I don't really have anything of interest.

Reaction score
Never heard of insider preview. Here's what's listed in "system":
Nevermind, it won't let me copy & paste or save the info in any way. Another brilliant Microsoft innovation! Under Windows edition it just says "Windows 10 Home." I got the free upgrade from 8.1. All my application defaults have been changed with the latest "update" as well. Fonts I put in my Windows/fonts folder are missing. Who do they think they are making these kind of unauthorized changes to my computer?
It said something in the article you referred to: "You may have also noticed your mapped network drives are not available. If you change your network to “private” or “enterprise”, it should start working again." But it doesn't say where to find these settings or how to change them. I don't have a Homegroup I have a Workgroup. I've been all through the Network & Sharing control panel. There is almost nothing there (in the way of changes you can make)!

Reaction score
Ok. Here's the deal. HomeGroups were Microsoft's way of making home networking between computers easy. The one drawback is that HomeGroups are much slower than Sharing with user credentials.

So, first you should make sure that both computers are on the same Workgroup. You can rename it to something more meaningful, like. TOMNET or whatever you like. Go to the Control Panel. Go to System and Security and under System, click on 'See the name....'. Once that screen comes up, you'll a section in the middle, 'Computer name....' Click the link on the right. Click on the button to change the workgroup and/or computer name. Once all computers are on the same network, you can proceed to share stuff pretty easily.

Go to the folder you want to share. Right-click on it and choose 'Share with'. Use the settings there to select certain people to share with. Both systems should have the same account. Make sure you give the appropriate rights to allow writing as well. It is not recommended to share to 'Everyone'. Once you have done that, go to the other computer where you want to read or update files. Browse the Network. That computer should show up and when you click on it, the new share should be there. Click on it to access the files. Depending on how you shared it, it may ask for credentials. Give the credential for the account on the computer that already has access. It will not ask again.

You will find that search and transfer rates using the Share method instead of HomeGroups is much faster.

Reaction score
A. Both computers show the same workgroup name
B. After a little experiment I was able to select a folder on my laptop to share and it shows up on my desktop computer AND I can access it as well. When I click on "Network" in Windows File Explorer on my laptop (like I have always done) it shows the icons for the 2 machines, but when clicking on "SPACECENTER" (the name of my Desktop computer) all I get is the dialog box prompting me to enter a name & PW (see attachment in my original post). And a message saying I don't have permission to access that network. I tried re-sharing a couple of folders on my desktop, but nothing changes!

Ask a Question