Can't create recovery drive

Reaction score
Hello:
I am trying to create a system recovery drive on a usb stick using
Create a recovery drive in Settings section.

But apparently I am missing many files such as winre.wim and install.wim as I keep getting error messages that I am missing files and instead am told to insert my Windows Installation dvd to get them. Since I have a Win10 Upgrade install from Win 7 Home Basic, I have no dvd install disk to either copy those files from or use as a rescue dvd, and I looked back at Win 7 files on another drive, and the .wim files are not in 7 either, as that was a Dell reinstall dvd (still have that), but no such files there either.

So can I get Mr. Gates home # in case I need to rescue my OS? My past behavior tells me I WILL need to rescue my pc sooner or later, & maybe this time I can be prepared.

Thank you

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
Hello Trouble & thanks yet again for answering here.
I am missing something here: I do have the windows media tool, and I do have the win10 installation files I used to do my upgrade, from this very same site btw, so are you saying that if I download them again, not as an upgrade, that I will get a full set??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The key is to have the ISO, the file with the .iso extension.
If you did not use the create media tool to save the iso to install at a later time, but rather just used it to perform the inplace upgrade then chances are you do not have the ISO.

Use the techbench link I provided above and download the ISO you need and save it to your computer.
Hope that helps explain it a little better.

Reaction score
Man, I hate to belabor this stuff, but I do have the Windows 10 iso file & installed the OS as a custom install, but I still get the message when I go into Create A Recovery Disk "some files are missing".

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea what might be causing your issues, but......
I can say that, IF you already have the installation media burned to a DVD and or a USB ThumbDrive then the need for a "Recovery Disk" would seem a bit redundant as the installation media will serve the same purpose.

Reaction score
I guess you are right, it'll have to do. Hope it works if needed. I say that as I made a rescue CD for my win7 sometime back, and I always get "this is not the correct version", or something similar, so now I faithfully make macrium images once a week just in case.

Thanks !

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Disk images are an excellent choice when it comes to backup.
Personally, I've been using Acronis for years.
The "Recovery Disk" as best as I can determine is simply a means of booting an unbootable machine so you can access the Windows RE (recovery environment) and attempt to perform some advanced troubleshooting and repairs.
The Installation Media, will provide the exact same function, with the added benefit of having all the necessary bits to perform an install if needed.
Of course, just like anything else, you would absolutely want to test it in advance to confirm that you can in-fact boot from it. Just like I would hope that you test your disk image to insure that it is viable.

Ask a Question