Can't create system repair disc - Win 10 Pro

BEH

Reaction score
Hi. I've been creating system image backups of my Dell laptop for a few years. I've never attempted to
create a system repair disc. Well, today, out of curiosity I attempted to do so following a system image
backup when prompted. The process failed indicating it couldn't find files it needed (Win 10 installation
files) . So, I have a system image backup on an external HD and that's it.

In addition, I have been creating system image copies of my ASUS (Win 10 Home) and today I attempted to create
a system repair disc for the first time for it and had no issues.

Q1. If I need them where can I get the installation files ?
Q2. Do I need the repair disc or can I boot from the system image backup on the external HD ?

I'm confused about this..

thanks BEH

Reaction score
The Start button, Control Panel, System and Maintenance, and Backup and Restore buttons can all be used to access Backup and Restore. Click Create a system repair disc in the left pane, then adhere to the instructions.

BEH

Reaction score
Hi Martin... thanks for your follow up. I believe you've misunderstood my issue. I have tried to create a repair disc /recovery
drive using the process you've indicated. In two ways. 1. following a system image copy there is a prompt Q asking if you
want to create a recovery disc. Also there is the way of clicking on 'create a system repair disc' in the panel you've
indicated. All processes fail since the Windows files required to create the repair disc / recovery drive are missing.
That's my issue. How do I either restore them from where ever or get them externally from where ever.

Reaction score
You can also use the Windows installation media to boot the pc & restore an image so the recovery drive isn’t needed.
I would like to add that the inbuilt imaging (Win 7 backup) is deprecated & Microsoft recommends moving to third party software like Macrium Reflect.

Ask a Question