Cant' drag and drop icons on desktop

Reaction score
when I try to move an icon on desktop using "drag & drop" , I get a black circle with a slash on it and it won't move. I have two computers using W10 and this occurs on only one of them.

Reaction score
I have the same problem but don't get the circle with the slash through it (NO) et al For me just nothing happens.
What I do is right click on the icon I want to move and then try to drag it say to recycling. Nothing happens.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Rumor has it that hitting the Esc key on your keyboard 3 or 4 times, helps.
IDK why. Seems weird to me but I thought I would pass it along.

Basically the assumption is that your Esc key is malfunctioning or your keyboard needs the correct driver installed if there is something unusually unique about it.

Like holding the Esc key and attempting to drag a desktop icon, prevents it from happening.

Reaction score
I can confirm the above method - spent all morning trying to figure out why I couldn't drag and drop things in a drafting program, then found I was having the same problem on my desktop. The only thing that fixed it was hitting the escape key 3 or 4 times. Works normally now. Weird!

Ask a Question