Can't edit files in a specific folder

Reaction score
Hello.
I am trying to replace a .png file in a specific directory. It is the picture shown by Minecraft Bedrock Edition straight when you open it. My issue has nothing to do with the game, so I don't think this post should be moved to "gaming".
It would let me remove the original file, but I can't put a new one.

I spent a few hours to diagnose the problem and I was able to give myself full control of the WindowsApps folder, I could even delete it if I wanted, and of course I can copy anything I want in it. I did the same with a folder that's inside WindowsApps called Microsoft.MinecraftUWPsomething, and it does say I have full control of the folder as well as all the files in it, including the folders in it and all the files they contain.
Despite that, I still can't copy a file inside of it. In fact, it seems like it's the same for every Microsoft.Something folder inside WindowsApps.

I tried moving the Microsoft.MinecraftUWP folder to the desktop, replacing the .png file I wanted and putting the folder back into place. Well, I was able to copy the file. But Minecraft wouldn't start anymore.

Of course what I am trying to do seems way too complicated to be worth it, but I think it's fun and I am learning quite a bit of stuff along the way.

Just to prove that replacing the file is not what's causing Minecraft not to launch, I used a specific tool that can download Minecraft version folders, and save them in a user accessible place (in my case it was somewhere in my documents folder). Then I modified the version by adding my custom picture, and used the tool to load it. Guess what... Minecraft starts, and my picture displays!

The only problem is that because I am using a custom tool I won't receive any future updates. Everytime I want to update, it will be a nightmare.

If I need to use a third party software I will do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Going on your user name here, one doesn't always have to use Windows to "mess" with it. If only one file is involved and the new one is the same size it can work to boot into a Linux LiveDVD and use its file manager to copy/move the file to the desired location. By booting Linux any work is outside of Windows so most restrictions will be bypassed, just don't lose the original file.

Ask a Question