SOLVED Can't print email attachments

Reaction score
Hi, This is my first venture into the forum so please be patient with me.
I don't seem to be able to print attachments to a particular email that I have received.
I have previously printed other attachments from different sources.
I note that other people have had the same problem, but there doesn't appear to be an answer.
I can read the text OK on screen, but can't print it. I tried saving it to file which worked OK, but I still couldn't print from file. Unusually, when I attempt to print, I get a logo at the top of the page and a signature at the bottom, but nothing in-between. I note that one suggestion I saw advised about three dots on top right hand of screen with print option. I had already discovered and tried this, but that was same result as other attempts.
Please help, John Browne Australia

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do these attachments have anything in common?
From the same source?
Same type of file being attached? (Doc, image, music, video, Spreadsheet??
When you save the "attachment" what is the result?
File name and file extension?

Reaction score
Hi Trouble, thank you for replying.
As I said in my previous message, I have printed out attachments before with no trouble (from different sources to this one). In this case there are two attachments, both from the same source. One is 140Kb and the other is 157KB and both have .pdf extensions. I am able to save them to file, but can't print them from file either.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble, thank you for replying.
As I said in my previous message, I have printed out attachments before with no trouble (from different sources to this one). In this case there are two attachments, both from the same source. One is 140Kb and the other is 157KB and both have .pdf extensions. I am able to save them to file, but can't print them from file either.
I rang the source and queried, but they have no reports from other customers. Note, sender is a surgeon and attachments are an account and description of operation I recently had. They would be sending these things out quite often.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Did they happen to tell you, what format the document is in (PDF I would suspect, but it might be another)?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't notice that you had posted twice.
When you open the PDF, does it open in Edge or do you have a PDF program installed like Adobe Acrobat Reader or FoxIt Reader?

Reaction score
To trouble,
I have edge and acrobat reader, so not sure which is being used. there doesn't appear to be an indication on screen. Can I find out which is being used?

To Norton
Thanks for your info. I tried doing as you suggested, but can't even copy the document neither from the original email nor the saved file.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You should be able to right click one of the attachments that you've saved to a .pdf file on your computer and from the context menu, select "Open with" and then choose Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Before getting to far afield, you mention earlier
I have printed out attachments before with no trouble
Were those attachments also PDF formatted?

Reaction score
Hi Trouble
As to format of previous attachments, I don't really know. I didn't take any notice and I no longer have them, but I will take note in the future. However I don't really get many at all.
I opened attachment from file as you suggested, right clicked and opened with Adobe reader, but still had the same result.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I opened attachment from file as you suggested, right clicked and opened with Adobe reader, but still had the same result.
Can you explain what "same results" means?
Does the document open and can you read the information it contains, or.....
Is it blank or mostly blank

Reaction score
Same results mean - yes I can open the file and read the contents on the screen OK and when I attempt to print, the print preview shows everything on the page OK. However on the printed page only an Icon is printed at the top left of the page and the signature of the doctor is printed at the bottom. Nothing in between?
The document is a full page of text. At the top (like a header) is the icon previously mentioned and also information relating to the doctor. ie name, qualifications, address, contact information etc.
Under that is a line across the page and below that is the body of the text, with the doctor's signature below that.
I don't understand how the print preview can be OK, but then not print out OK?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
I believe the information within the pdf document is protected for patient confidentiality. That's why it just shows the header/footer. Give the Surgeons admin receptionist a call.

Reaction score
Thank you to all those that replied. This is embarrassing! I recently bought myself a new printer after my "Brother developed mechanical trouble. I am used to being told when the ink is low and empty. I have now discovered that my new HP ENVY doesn't give any such notification unless I actually check myself. Problem now solved, thanks once again to all those that tried to help.

Ask a Question