SOLVED Can't recover PC using System Image BIOS / UEFI conflict.

Reaction score
Thanks Saltgrass
I do have a backup of the System Image, so will give MBR2GPT.exe a try and let you know the result

Reaction score
Hi Saltgrass
I tried using mbr2gpt with no success - it didn't like my System Image file - something about it's geometry.
So I think a clean install would be my best option.
I'd appreciate your advice on how to do this.
I had a look at how this might be achieved (Settings/Update & Security\Recovery/Learn how to start fresh with a clean installation of Windows) without going ahead. What I couldn't see though, was how to define the type of clean required ie UEFI or BIOS -
and I need BIOS.
Again, your advice would be appreciated

Reaction score
You have to use it on an online version. Is your last drive, with the active partition, a complete install or just left over. But that is why I suggested using just that one drive to restore your image, then run the MBR2GPT utility..

If it doesn't work, then you may have to throw out the image.. Or go back to a Legacy system so the image will work.

Reaction score
Sorry Saltgrass, but you've lost me.
Not clear what I have to use on an online version. Is that MBR2GPT?
So far as I'm aware, my last drive with the active partition is a complete install.
So please could you walk me through what I need to do to achieve a clean installation of win 10 in BIOS mode.

Reaction score
First, you will have to make sure the last drive is a Legacy install. Check the link, it will explain your options better than I can.

Again, you are in a strange situation. Hopefully, you are not trying to restore an image from another system..

Reaction score
Hi Saltgrass
I believe that historically, when I updated from Win 7 to 10, The resulting OS was BIOS (not UEFI).
When my system crashed 5 days ago, I successfully recovered it from a USB RAM drive but into UEFI mode.
My Widows Backup on an external hard drive (the one that's the only way I have to get back to my original configuration)
was made prior to the recent crash and so is BIOS mode.
All of this was done on the same desktop PC.
Now, I've tried the MBR2GPT utility with no success.
I then did a clean installation which was successful,
I've checked the boot mode and it's definitely UEFI.
What I couldn't see or didn't find was any option to do this clean installation in BIOS mode instead of UEFI.
I'm guessing that if I could do this, then my Legacy/MBR System Image would be accepted.

Reaction score
In order to install in Legacy mode, the Secure Boot needs to be disabled so you can boot the install media in Legacy mode. Since settings can be different in different systems, you need to determine how to switch back and forth.

Once you have you system set up, use a Boot device menu to select the non-UEFI version of the install media..

Reaction score
Hi Saltgrass

The problem is now solved.
The key to the solution was your comment
"so you can boot the install media in Legacy mode."
I thought that's what I'd been doing.
My Bios gave the option of logging in with Legacy and UEFI
and I'd been choosing both - thinking "belt & braces".
But in doing this the boot mode defaulted to UEFI but my recovery
stick was in Legacy, hence the failure.
Once I selected Legacy only, it ran ok and my PC was recovered.
So many thanks for your attention and valuable assistance assistance.

Ask a Question