Can't get printer out of "Print to File" Mode

Reaction score
I have no idea how this happened, but Windows thinks it should always print to file.No, I dot hvae the box on tghe printer list for Print to File checked. That would be too easy. I went to look at the porinter ports. One of the ports if FILE Print to FIle and the name of my HP physical priner. Windows won't let me delete this port or edit it.No matter what I do, it says the device is in use. I tried to get Windows to update Of course, I think it was a recent update that did this to me.. I don['t know how to do this. What do I have to do to escape from this prison? I am the administrator of the computer. I should have the right to make such changes but I don't. Help please. Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Use the Devices and Printers applet in the control panel.
Right click the printer and choose "printer properties" from the context menu
Select the "Ports" tab from the menu bar in the printer properties dialog box
Examine the area labeled "Print to the following port(s). Documents will print to the first free checked port"
You'll likely see
FILE
WSD something or other
USB001 or something similar
Maybe even an IP address if you've ever configured such a thing.

Check the port that your printer is currently attached to and uncheck the "FILE:" in the list.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Under General settings - yo should have a print test page. making sure it is set as Default -
1585069806063.png

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Unfortunately, no port other than FILE lists my printed. I cannot unchceck FILE.
I don't know what made the difference but now the checkbox for Print to File is gone. The printer is now on UT2, whatever that is. Unfortunately, when I try to print now, the printer status box, which shows the documents in he queue, shows "error" for the status. I don't see a message to explain that. It just says, "error." Is there a way to get more info? I don't understand this at all. I did not do anything to the printer or printer setting to cause a catastrophjic problem. It mst must be from a very recent MS Windows 10 update.

Reaction score
Then recommend you do a FULL Uninstall..... reboot then use Manufacture ISO to reinstall. seems to work on all HP, Dell, Brother and Epson that my clients have.

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Unfortunately, no port other than FILE lists my printed. I cannot unchceck FILE. I tried to add the point to one of the other ports but I could not find a way to do it. By the way, should there be an "anydesk" printer? I don't know what that is. It is as though Windows refuses to let me do this. Windows even says the port is in use even though the power strip for the printer is off.Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
By the way, should there be an "anydesk" printer?
I believe that "anydesk" is a software product that facilitates remote access / control, something similar to TeamViewer and such, so....
an anydesk printer is likely a feature / function of that software that supports remote printing with that software installed.

Ask a Question