Can't use Preview Pane for MS Apps in File Explorer

Reaction score
Windows 10. In file explorer if I select Preview Pane and then select a Word or Excel file I get a pop saying it cannot start the application. This worked perfectly on my old Windows 7 PC, but not my new Windows 10 PC. Has anyone experienced this issue, and if so, have you been able to resolve it?

1583347160303.png

Reaction score
I just checked mine and it previews .docx files along with a number of other formats including .rtf and my favorite .wpd/WordPerfect documents. I did check a couple of Microsoft Access files and it couldn't view them.

Reaction score
Do you have in Settings > Updates & Security > Advanced options > Update options the box ticked to update any other Microsoft products and have you run the updater?.

View attachment 11332

Also, what version of Win 10 do you have?:

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/how-to-upgrade-windows-10-to-the-latest-version.13015/ :)
Version 1909. I turned Receive updates for other MS products off because I was getting Office 2007 updates and do not have 2007. I have 2013. I can't see how this would affect the Preview Pane since File Explorer is part of the Windows 10 OS.

Reaction score
I can't see how this would affect the Preview Pane since File Explorer is part of the Windows 10 OS.
Right, it's pretty much the core of Windows, if it doesn't work Windows won't. I also have Office 2013 suite. But I also have a couple of older Microsoft programs, Expression Web, Works 9.x and Streets and Trips and Picture It 10 so it's possible to get updates for them, I just let it happen.

Ask a Question