SOLVED Why can't I see my file?

Reaction score
Hi. I'm trying to export a file from a program using "Save As...", but it doesn't show up in file explorer. When I try to export the file a second time, the program tells me that file "...already exists. Do you want to replace it?" But it still does not appear in file explorer.

In the screenshot attached, on the left side you can see the empty contents of "C:\Users\Jeff\Documents\eXtremeGammon\Exports". On the right, you can see a "Confirm Save As" dialog box generated when I try to save the file the second time.

Where is my file? Why can't I see it? And how do I find it?

TY.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
only thing I can think of that the file is actually hidden. Might want to go in to the folder options and check as shown in the picture

2020-02-07_201113.jpg

Reaction score
Presumably you inserted the correct path to "save as"?
I would search your computer for all files as *-mat

Reaction score
Presumably you inserted the correct path to "save as"?
I would search your computer for all files as *-mat
I copied and pasted the path between windows.
I have never gotten used to Windows (or anyone's) fine, fine search features. I organize my storage and give things meaningful names because search never works right (too many or too few hits, without fail). Here, for example, is a "useful" result of the search of my documents (notice that my directory is within Documents). Below that is the same search on "ThisPC"
1581181525127.png

1581182078647.png

Reaction score
With each new version of Windows I get increasingly frustrated with its "ease" of use. But this one may not be Windows' fault.

Look closely at the filename in the first picture. You will notice that it has a path in the "File name:" field. This application seems to put that there and I didn't realize. Ironically, it saved the file in the location I actually wanted (jellyfish), but not the one shown in the directory at the top. When I couldn't find it in shown directory, I tried to resave and it said "Hey there's already a file there" -- that is, in the jellyfish.

I've been so frustrated with Windows hidden files and secret directories with the same name (or whatever), that I didn't noticed that. I'm reasonably confident that's what happened.

Reaction score
In you examples, I can’t figurecwhat you were actually searching for?Bit of a mixed bunch. Why not try the suggestion(s) with “mat”

Reaction score
I don't know about your application. But in the applications that I use, "save as" is not considered the same as "export".

When you save the file, look at the folder location. I'm willing to bet it will not be the export folder.

Ask a Question