Can't open windows 10

Reaction score
Hi guys, got a major problem. I can't open Windows (10) at all, I keep getting the blue screen with the various options which I follow and it all turns to crap and I finish back where I started - "windows has encountered a problem ands is checking...……" Then it comes up with a window asking if I want restart or search for further solutions. If I go for further solutions, I then get a screen offering restart with a different OS, etc, then check further and get the option to reset. Totally over this, I say YES, reset. Then I get a message, "There was a problem resetting your computer, no changes were made.". If I try again no matter how many times, I finish up back here with the same messages. The only other thing I saw along the way was : "PFN list corrupt" and only once. This is hopeless, I'm going around and around in circles and getting nowhere. Help please.

Don

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
"PFN list corrupt"
That error is probably going to turn out to be either an issue with your hard disk or else possibly although a little less likely a problem with your memory as it references a Page File Number list that the system uses to keep track of items that are paged out from RAM to an area of your hard disk.

I'd pull the disk and attach it to another computer and run chkdsk with the R switch to see if you find bad sectors.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your input mate. I'm pretty hopeless with computer problems, so I'll have to hand it over to my tech. I don't have another computer to try the HD in and even if I did, I wouldn't have a clue what to look for. This sort of problem is beyond me. Unfortunately I got into computers a bit too late in life to learn this stuff. Thanks for trying to help.

Don

Reaction score
Thanks for your input mate. I'm pretty hopeless with computer problems, so I'll have to hand it over to my tech. I don't have another computer to try the HD in and even if I did, I wouldn't have a clue what to look for. This sort of problem is beyond me. Unfortunately I got into computers a bit too late in life to learn this stuff. Thanks for trying to help.

Don
There is a rather easy method to see if your HDD/SSD has issues. and it requires you to only do a simple task.
right click the window logo ----> select command prompt as Admin
1578421860097.png
or select PowerShell (depends on which one you have)
type CHKDSK C: /r /scan then enter and when ask click yes. this will auto boot back and Microsoft will run the required progam and check for any problems and attempt to fix.

CHKDSK [volume[[path]filename]]] [/F] [/V] [/R] [/X] [/I] [/C] [/L[:size]] [/B] [/scan] [/spotfix]

volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
mount point, or volume name.
filename FAT/FAT32 only: Specifies the files to check for
fragmentation.
/F Fixes errors on the disk.
/V On FAT/FAT32: Displays the full path and name of every
file on the disk.
On NTFS: Displays cleanup messages if any.
/R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information
(implies /F, when /scan not specified).
/L:size NTFS only: Changes the log file size to the specified
number of kilobytes. If size is not specified, displays
current size.
/X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.
All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid
(implies /F).
/I NTFS only: Performs a less vigorous check of index
entries.
/C NTFS only: Skips checking of cycles within the folder
structure.
/B NTFS only: Re-evaluates bad clusters on the volume
(implies /R)

Reaction score
What did you do on Windows 10 computer,updated it?If nothing has been done yet,do a clean install of Windows 10.

Ask a Question