Can't get Windows 10 to recognise Paintshop Pro 5 for opening jpegs etc

Reaction score
I have installed my top favourite graphics editor, Paintshop Pro 5, in my new laptop running Windows 10 and it appears in the list of All Apps in the Start list. But when I try to make it the default program for opening jpegs, etc., it is not listed, and when I right-click a jpeg in Files Explorer and click "Open with", Paintshop Pro is not listed as an option. Yet I can open jpeg files from Paintshop Pro itself. How can I get Windows to recognise Paintshop Pro as a program that can open jpegs and other graphics files so that I can make it the default program for graphics?

Reaction score
One way is to click 'Start', then 'Settings', then 'System'. There, select 'Default apps'. On that page, scroll down and click 'Choose default apps by file type'. Find .jpeg (or another graphics type) in the list on the left and on the right, click 'Choose a default' and select Paint Shop Pro 5 as the app you want to open that file type with.

One other thing to try if you still can't see PSP5 in the list is to locate a .jpeg file, right click on it and select 'Open with', then select 'Choose another app' and locate the PSP5 app in its home folder. Usually after doing that, the app will show up in the 'Open with' list.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is probably a bit late, but it not only covers the Paintshop Pro problem (I'm still using v4.15 !), but the setting of any other defaults.

To set an application as the default for any file type, pick a file (image01.jpg), just right_click and select properties. Just down from the top is "Type of file", and under that is "Opens with"

upload_2018-5-8_0-4-5.png

When you select "Change", it brings up the usual defaults - but with 'More Apps' at the bottom, which lists all currently registered Applications.

But at the bottom of that list is 'Look for another App on this PC'. This finally lets you browse to the application you want to use as the default !

Ask a Question