I can't play a DVD on Windows 10.

BML

Reaction score
I thought that I would only have to insert the DVD as I used to do before Windows 10 and it would open automatically but whatever I do I'm unable to make it play.

Reaction score
How about downloading VLC Media Player from Ninite.com. Then in default apps, make VLC your default media player? That works for me.

BML

Reaction score
Windows XP plays a DVD but with no sound but will play a music CD.

The problem relates to an elderly Laptop running on Windows XP on which I attempted to play a DVD of Frankie Howerd a comedian of many years ago. The DVD played showing the film but with no sound.

I did some digging on the Internet and found the following advice.

Go to your device manager and right click on your dvd drive, go to properties, and then properties again and see if "Enable digital audio" is enabled.
Download and install the complete XP Codec pack and install the complete XP Codec pack.

I have done neither yet but will do so in the moorning.

I attempted to play the DVD on my Windows 10 enabled computer but it will not even play a DVD. It will play a music CD. The strange thing was that it did play a clip of his performance at the Oxford University Union.

I then read a piece on the Internet that stated Windows 10 was not built with the ability to play DVD video’s. It was suggested that they may include it latter. I would like to know why they did that but there is no point in even asking them.

Thanks for the suggestion of "downloading VLC Media Player from Ninite.com. Then in default apps, make VLC your default media player?" I will try it tomorrow.

Anyway at 23.38 in the UK that’s it until tomorrow.

Reaction score
Yes, Microsoft took the DVD Movie player out after Win8.1 but very early versions of Win10 may have had it if Win8.1 had it. Go with VLC [videolan.org], works fine and also compatible with a number of formats of downloaded video clips from the Internet such as .webm, .mkv, .mp4, etc.

BML

Reaction score
Right, I downloaded VLC and the DVD played so thank you very much.

Reaction score
First I've heard of a Version Upgrade or Build update taking VLC out, hasn't done it on any of my computers.

Reaction score
I built my computer in 2016 had used DVD then recently I put a DVD in and it would not play just after april upgrade very annoyed about this I think it removed some other software but I can't remember what it was it took the desktop links to the programs as well and left the empty spaces.

Reaction score
My DVD player on my Lenovo Thinkpad doesn't even show up any longer, happened at some update within a year ago. DVD player is all ok, works in Ubuntu. Tons of discussion on internet about this driver bug, if anyone knows a solution/driver that will work, welcome to give me a hint :)
Currently using an external USB DVD player, it works for sure, but it would be better if I could use my built in one :)

Ask a Question