Windows 10 can't get out of sleep mode

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been having a hard time getting computer out of sleep mode. I tried hitting every key and combo possible. No luck

1. The monitor works
2. I have tried 3 different monitor cables
3. Keyboard and mouse work and have fresh batteries. And have tried others as well just to be sure

When it was in sleep mode, I used to be able to hold the power button for a while and it would turn off and then turn it back on and it would work.now the monitor stays black. Waiting for a signal but I can hear the motor running. The only way i can get it to boot up is to unplug it for 5 minutes or so and plug back in and turn on and it and it will work again. If i unplug for 2 minutes it's not long enough and will not fix my problem

Any suggestions how i can fix this?

Paul

Reaction score
If it were mine, I'de set sleep to never. I've done that on my systems anyway for other reasons. My systems run 24/7 so I set the monitor and hard drives to shut down after a specified period of inactivity. If you can get into the system long enough to disable sleep, you can start trouble shooting. To start, run a system file check. Go to start>Type CMD, Right click and run as Administrator. If you want to verify and repair the OS type sfc /scannow If you just want to check ﴾verify only﴿ the OS type sfc /verifyonly ﴾no changes will be made using verify only﴿

You may have to run this up to 3 times to fix all the problems. When you have finished it will say one of three things
  1. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them ﴾a good thing﴿
  2. or Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some ﴾or all﴿ of them ﴾not a good thing﴿ If you get this message run DISM (will describe how in a future post if needed).
  3. If SFC was not able to repair some or all of the files there are a few options including a repair install from the OS dvd, and DISM ﴾win 8 & UP﴿
After running SFC, post back with the results.

Reaction score
Thanks I can easily get into my computer by unplugging it 5 minutes and turning on.. and it will allow me to do whatever I want until it sleeps. I'll post in a couple days after I do all that stuff.

Reaction score
You should not have to press the power button to get out of sleep mode. Hitting any key would achieve it.
I suspect you are in Hibernate mode?
Right click the menu button and select command prompt (Admin)
Copy and paste

powercfg.exe /hibernate off

If you want to reverse the command, just exchange "off" for "On"
You might also have the HD in sleep mode? You can undo that in the power settings.

Like Gary, I allow my computer to stay awake.

Reaction score
If it were in hibernate mode, couldn't I just hold the power button until it turns off. And then just turn it back on? Because u can not do that. The computer needs to be unplugged for over 5 minutes then plugged in turned on. Only then will my monitor display the computer.

Paul

Reaction score
Hi just an update I went into power options and changes the two settings to never. I also did the sfc /scannow and it had zero errors said did not find andy integrity violation. but a few minutes later it asked me install new update and restart. Not sure If they were related. But I'll leave my computer on for 24 hours and see what happens

I appreciate all the tips. One cool thing was I didnt know I could right click the menu button .

PAUL

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been having a hard time getting computer out of sleep mode. I tried hitting every key and combo possible. No luck

1. The monitor works
2. I have tried 3 different monitor cables
3. Keyboard and mouse work and have fresh batteries. And have tried others as well just to be sure

When it was in sleep mode, I used to be able to hold the power button for a while and it would turn off and then turn it back on and it would work.now the monitor stays black. Waiting for a signal but I can hear the motor running. The only way i can get it to boot up is to unplug it for 5 minutes or so and plug back in and turn on and it and it will work again. If i unplug for 2 minutes it's not long enough and will not fix my problem

Any suggestions how i can fix this?

Paul
Try the ON/OFF button. That is usually the way to exit sleep mode... Just hold it down a FEW seconds (not enough to turn off.)

Reaction score
Hi guys sorry for the delay for the response. My computer works now but wont go to sleep anymore because I changed the settings not to sleep. I would like to get it so u can get it to go back to sleep. Because then it automatically logs me out and a password is required again to log me in. Right now i just turn off the monitor screen to save a bit of power

Reaction score
My computer works now but wont go to sleep anymore because I changed the settings not to sleep. I would like to get it so u can get it to go back to sleep. Because then it automatically logs me out and a password is required again to log me in.

Here is a work-around that you could try until "sleep" is fixed. Right click on Start, left click on Shutdown or Sign Out, left click on Sign Out. This way, you'll have to sign back in to continue. It's quicker than restart, but you will need to close some of your open programs first.

Reaction score
Another thought. I bought a Dell Laptop a year or two ago, and for the first few months I had a lot of trouble getting it out of sleep mode. About the time I was getting serious about finding a cure, Dell updated the bios. It works fine now. You didn't include any system specs in your profile so this may be a shot in the dark, but you might check to see if a bios update is available.

Reaction score
Paul,

My experience has been all over the place. For you, if it worked before it should work now. This gets complicated during updates. If I see one coming I shut the computer down fully using the Start button after closing all programs.

I used to do the power button thing but it stopped working as sleep mode and went into hibernation mode which in truth took as long or longer to boot up.

Sleep mode is awesome and is best accessed from the start button, usually found in W10 Click the windows button, bottom left, then up and to the left side just above the button find: Power Icon select sleep from the menu. Only takes a couple of seconds to do this.
  • W10 seems to make a system snapshot, save it and shut the system down after saving with only the power LED blinking giving you a clue it worked.
  • In this mode everything that's active shuts down including all fans and processes. Almost no power drain.
  • I have an SSD so it may be quicker than some.
  • To start it back up, simply quickly hit the power button, mine comes back exactly as I left it, to me a perfect solution.
  • I timed mine and I get back up & running in 3.5 seconds
Hope this helps

Ron

Ask a Question