Change product key

Reaction score
In Update and Security section, Activation tab, it says my Win10 is activated but below that is tells me to Change product key or go to the store and buy a different edition of windows. I don't understand what needs to be done. What do i change the product key to? I upgraded from win 7 and the last update I'm on is Ver10.0 (Build 10240) Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It doesn't "tell you to change the product key" it simply gives you a means of doing so if you would want or need to.
IF your product says "Windows is activated".....
There is not further action required by you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you. If you don't mind me asking, why would someone want to or need to change the key?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In some instances, especially in the case of Retail OS purchases, someone might want to move their retail product key to another machine, replacing it on the machine with a separate key they purchased just for the purpose of perhaps, transferring the computer to a friend or relative.
Something of that nature.
Back in the day, there was something called Windows Anytime Upgrade, where you could make your Windows 7 Home Premium into a Windows 7 Ultimate computer simply by changing the product key.
That is the place and means where you would go and do something like that.
I assume there is still something similar available for people with Windows 10 Home, to purchase a key for Windows 10 Pro.... change it and presto ..... Home becomes Pro

Reaction score
Thank you very much. Your kindness has helped me learn something new today. God bless you and have a good rest of the day.

Reaction score
Here's a short story about product keys. I had a laptop with 8.1 and upgraded to 10 with no problem. On a 2nd laptop I upgraded 7 home to 7 professional with no problem.

I later made the 2nd laptop dual boot with 7 pro and 10 home. 7 pro was activated because it was properly upgraded but 10 home was not because it was installed by means of a usb .iso file. I went to the store and purchased a new product key for $119. When I entered that 10 was activated.

All the advice I got on how to dual boot came from this forum. I suspect that had I known more about product keys I could have avoided the expense but that's how I did it.

Ask a Question