changing passwords

Reaction score
I updated my laptop from Windows 8 to 10 successfully. I'm enjoying not having the computer constantly flip from screen to screen now. There's just one issue:

My computer was hacked, so I decided to change the password. Not the Microsoft password, which I changed successfully, but the one I type on the lock screen to unlock the computer. The current password was invented by me via windows 8, before the update.

I tried getting help from Geek Squad. No, they didn't know.
I tried searching and found "do a control alt delete, then choose password change". That option didn't come up.
I tried a chat with Microsoft support and got an email so badly written I could hardly understand it. The writer had no clue how to change the password.
I tried logging out, then entering the wrong password, then going to the "forgot password" screen. It led me to change the Microsoft pass, but not the windows unlock screen pass which is not the same.

Surely, there must be some way to change a windows 10 unlock the computer password, but I've about given up.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I decided to change the password. Not the Microsoft password, which I changed successfully, but the one I type on the lock screen to unlock the computer
How exactly did you create a password for the "Lock Screen".
I'm not familiar with how one goes about doing this.
Perhaps you can point me to a reference article or link that you used to perform this task.
The Lock Screen in Windows 10 (typically Windows spotlight by default, or a picture that you may have chosen) as far as I know does not natively support a password security feature. At least I can't find out how to do it yet.
I'm only prompted for authentication credentials at the Windows sign-in screen after dismissing the lock screen and not on the lock screen itself.

Reaction score
How exactly did you create a password for the "Lock Screen".
I'm not familiar with how one goes about doing this.
Perhaps you can point me to a reference article or link that you used to perform this task.
The Lock Screen in Windows 10 (typically Windows spotlight by default, or a picture that you may have chosen) as far as I know does not natively support a password security feature. At least I can't find out how to do it yet.
I'm only prompted for authentication credentials at the Windows sign-in screen after dismissing the lock screen and not on the lock screen itself.
I may be using the wrong terms. When I turn on the computer, it asks for a password in order to open it. I created the password when I first bought it, when it was running Windows 8. I can either write in a password, or a PIN to get to where I actually can use the computer. It's the password I type when I start up the computer I've been trying to change.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If this is a password for a local user account ( not a Microsoft Account ) and not associated with your Microsoft Account......
Then you should be able to simply go here
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\Manage Accounts\Change an Account
And select "Change the password".

Capture1.JPG

Ask a Question