Changing Permission

Reaction score
Hi
Please can anyone help a silver surfer with this problem. I have upgraded from Vista to Windows 10, before doing so I backed up my files to an external hard drive. I would now like to reinstall my photos etc into windows 10 but I get the message:- Before I can extract files I must change permission for this compressed (zipped folder). What I would like to know is,
Where do I change permission.
What do change permission to.
Will I have to change permission back again.
I try to sort things out on my own if I can as I find this is the best way to learn, but this problem has got me stumped.
Hoping someone can help and its not to technical.
Peter

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi pigeonpete,

Welcome to the Forum.

First, have you right-clicked on the zipped file and chosen Properties? The bottom right corner of dialog that opens may contain a button you need to click to unlock the file so you can then extract it.

Second, have you used a new Username in Windows 10 that differs from the Username you were using when you originally zipped your photos in Vista? If yes, then you'll need to change permissions on the zipped file to grant permission for your new username to access it. This can only be done though if the User account making this permission change has administrative privileges. If your Windows 10 User is just a standard User account you will need to enable the build-in Administrator account to achieve the permission change.

Let us know what your status is re Usernames and Administrator levels and I or someone else can walk you through how to change the permissions.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I tried the first part but there was no button to unlock it.
The second part of your reply yes my user name is different in windows 10 to what I had in Vista. When I looked at my user account in W10 it came up as Peter Coles
(e-mail address removed)
Administrator
In Vista it was Peter-PC

Regards

Peter

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi pigeonpete,

In that case I think the simplest way to do this would be to make use of the build-in Takeown.exe tool and the icacls.exe tool that comes with Windows 10.
  • Sign-in to your Desktop
  • Press your Windows key + S to give focus to the search field
  • In the Search field type command
  • Now in the search results locate and right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  • When the User Account Control prompts you click Yes

Now you want to take ownership of the zipped file and grant permission to your new username to access this file and its sub-directories [ in case your compressed file contains a series of directories ].

To demonstrate how to do this I will assume the following:
  • Your file is named Photos.zip
  • Your file is located on your Desktop
  • Your new username is Peter Coles
  • That your current signed in User belongs to the Administrative Group
  • That Windows is installed on C partition

So at the Administrator: Command Prompt you would type the following command:

Code:
takeown /f "C:\%userprofile%\Desktop\Photos.zip" /r /d y

Press Enter key to execute. All going well you'll see a message like Success: Photos.zip now owned by Peter Coles'.

Next, type the following command into the Administrator: Command Prompt:

Code:
icacls "C:\%userprofile%\Desktop\Photos.zip" /grant %username%:F /T

Press Enter key to execute.

Note: If you want to assign permissions for all Administrators on the computer use this instead:

Code:
icacls "C:\%userprofile%\Desktop\Photos.zip" /grant administrators:F /T

Once done, you can close the Administrator: Command Prompt then you ought to now be able to extract your file and save the photos where you wish.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Is there a way to do this from command line or powershell for everything because it really is kind of a pain. I used a script i found somewhere that added the option to change permissions in the menu which worked, but after i ran it, something weird starting happening and ended up having to restore my computer. I believe %appdata% was the problem. However, because of creator being so new, i really dont know what caused the problem. Needless to say i have not attempted running it again so im curious if you heard of this or perhaps have another script i could use to accomplish gaining admin and/or ownerships rights over everything at once.

Ask a Question