Chrome freezes after sleep or after inactivity

Reaction score
Hi! I hope someone can help! I purchased a new Dell laptop recently that had Windows 10 already installed. It was buggy from the start with the most frustrating issue being Google chrome tabs won't scroll after sleep or a period of inactivity--actually this very tab just froze as I am typing this post! Instead the whole page bounces, meaning the whole screen will move slightly when attempting to scroll and the only way to scroll is by using holding down the left click and scrolling or by using the arrows. Also, some tabs in the same window freeze while others continue to scroll without issue.

I returned the laptop to the Microsoft store and they exchanged it for another. You guessed it--same problem!! Last night when I returned to the store with an appointment with a tech, I was told that it is because Chrome is not a browser meant for Windows 10. After asking for the manager, he initially said the same until I said, "Are you telling me that this brand new laptop is incapable of running Chrome?" He admitted it was wrong, but had no fix/suggestions. So now I am left trying to figure it out myself. Can anyone help, please?

Reaction score
Hey Theresa, and anyone who navigates to this problem from Google:

This was solved by the Microsoft Edge team (who work on a form of the open-source Chromium product).

To fix Chrome freezing/not scrolling after waking from sleep:

1. Go to your address bar are type in chrome://flags
2. In the search box, type 'occlusion'
3. When 'Calculate window occlusion on Windows' pops up, change it from 'Default' to 'Disabled'

Restart Chrome, issue solved. Thanks to the Microsoft Edge team for getting to the bottom of this. It works on my version of Chrome and Chromium.

Credit:
Riley Foster, Microsoft community member who discovered the fix - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...essageId=654fb245-c6c2-4e43-ac6c-198816dedf89

Reaction score

This was solved by the Microsoft Edge team (who work on a form of the open-source Chromium product).

3. When 'Calculate window occlusion on Windows' pops up, change it from 'Default' to 'Disabled'

Restart Chrome, issue solved. Thanks to the Microsoft Edge team for getting to the bottom of this. It works on my version of Chrome and Chromium.

Credit:
Riley Foster, Microsoft community member who discovered the fix - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...essageId=654fb245-c6c2-4e43-ac6c-198816dedf89
Riley you are my hero
this was annoying me so much and your fix worked just like that

Reaction score

Credit:

This fixed my Chrome locking up after going into standby. Was very annoying to deal with. Thank you so much! Chrome needs to fix this.

MLS

Reaction score
This solved the chrome lock-up for me. I would have to go to another tab then back to chrome to resume normal operation.

Thanks mucho......

Reaction score

Credit:

Thank you so much!!

Reaction score

Credit:

This had been annoying me for several weeks and I could not find an answer (I tried re-installing Chrome from scratch, disabling all my add-ons, etc. This suggestion fixed it! So awesome. Really appreciate it.

Reaction score

Credit:

Thank you very much! It helped me with Vivaldi!
I suspected that the monitor was breaking something! :D

Reaction score
This fix also works in Windows 11.
Yes, this is such an annoying issue. You would have thought by now that MS would have fixed problem, it has been going on for such a long time. This solution worked for me with Windows 11. Thank you.

Ask a Question