Chrome Not Responding

Reaction score
I keep getting this message that Chrome is not responding. I keep having to restart computer and sometimes it will not let me do this so I have to turn off at the wall.

Anyone any ideas how to fix this problem.

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
I have looked at the similar threads posted but unfortunately these do not help me.

I have also been in touch with my broadband provider and they have confirmed that the problem is not with them.
My computer is just 2 years old if that helps.

Reaction score
A few simple things. Is your machine 32 bit or 64 bit? Probably 64 bit as it is only 2 years old. Right click on Start and click on System and it will tell you.
What version of W10 are you running. Should be
1607 14393.xxx xxx=726 is the very latest for a 64 bit machine. Get this by running Winver

What is your Chrome version? Version 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit) is the uptodate 64 bit version

Are you using ethernet or Wifi?

Reaction score
Reset the chrome
Resetting the chrome to its fresh installed state will fix the chrome not responding error without any doubt. What about the saved passwords and bookmarks? Don’t panic. If your Google account is already synched with the Google chrome browser, you can easily import all those by just logging in to the browser. So now, let’s continue to reset the browser.
  • Open Menu
  • Go to settings->advanced settings
  • Scroll down to the bottom of the window and find out the button “Reset browser settings”. It will restore your chrome to the initial stage
  • Now Sign in to Google chrome with your Google account.
  • Check the browser and see whether the issue Google chrome not working persist.

Reaction score
Hi Tim,

It is 64 bit. Don't know what version of W10, could not find this information, or what version of Chrome - I am a novice !!!!

I am using WiFi.

Reaction score
Hi Shueb

I will have to think about this, not sure about saved passwords etc. Maybe better taking it into a repair shop for someone that knows what they are doing to have a look at it ?

Reaction score
Hi Tim,

It is 64 bit. Don't know what version of W10, could not find this information, or what version of Chrome - I am a novice !!!!

I am using WiFi.

Version of Chrome: Click on the three vertical dots at the top right of Chrome. Go down to the Help. In the dialog that opens click on About Google Chrome. That will show you the number

Version of Windows Type Winver into the "ask me Anything" box on the task bar Then click on the Winver at the top of the box that opens.

Reaction score
Hi Shueb

I will have to think about this, not sure about saved passwords etc. Maybe better taking it into a repair shop for someone that knows what they are doing to have a look at it ?
I have successfully fixed the problem with the help of the link shared by trouble[Noob whisperer] in this forum.

Reaction score
You also can get your version by clicking on [SETTINGS] then {SYSTEM] then going down to [ABOUT]. If you click on about you should see something similar to this:

2017-02-12_130809.jpg

Reaction score
Hello you wonderful knowledgeable people.

Right I think I have the information that was requested.

Chrome version is 56.0.2924.87 - then says (Google chrome is up to date)

Windows is 1607 (OS Build 14393.693)

Hope I have given you the correct information to help me.

Thanks in advance.

Ask a Question