Clean Install over RTM 10240

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Has any body on the Preview build running 10240 (RTM) for insiders, tried a clean install yet. I'm a bit leery to try it as I'm not sure what the outcome will be due to the generic preview key being used. I know MS has stated that the clean install is possible but nothing has been release on how to yet...or that I've seen.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I've downloaded the Media Creation Tool and have created the ISO and burned it to a DVD and also created a bootable USB drive. Like I said, I'm a bit leery to do the clean install.

Note: I did try the install option of that tool....but it always fails with this error.....

Media tool.PNG

Reaction score
Once you do an "Upgrade" install on your system then you're able to do a clean install later.
Since it's the same machine you'll have no problems.

From the Windows 10 FAQ & Tips page:

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?
Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

I hope this answers your questions BF! :cool:

Here's a link to the Windows 10 FAQ & Tips page.

Nibs

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Yes...I've seen that and read through it....but it implies that 7/8/8.1 are the only upgrades. For those of using the preview of 10 with no previous OS installed.....I don't see the answer in that FAQ anywhere.

Thanks for the link and help.

Reaction score
I just now, and I'm posting from the machine, used a .iso from media creator to install Windows 10 on my Windows 8.1 Pro machine. In the process i skipped the page for entering the windows key and when presented with the option to install I selected my C drive and the "format" option. After the format wiped the drive the installation continued and I again skipped past any key entry requirements. After install and setup was complete I opened the control panel, checked the system and lo and behold it was showing Windows Activated!!! I guess during the initial "gathering information" process it collected enough information to know it was installing over a legitimate copy of Windows and was OK installing on a formatted drive.

I did the same on my other computer and I'm still waiting for it to activate. Microsoft is having a problem with the activation service so I guess I will just have to wait it out. Surprised that this machine activated so quickly.

Edit: I just looked and I don't see a Windows Old folder on the C drive so it looks like installing on a formatted drive will wipe out the files necessary to create the Old folder so it's probably not possible to roll back to Windows 8.1. I do have a complete backup on another drive so if necessary I can recreate my Windows 8.1.

Reaction score
BF:
You'll probably have to reinstall Windows 7 or 8.1 to get the upgrade going, but in the meantime try it through the updates section it should work.

Reaction score
I just looked and I don't see a Windows Old folder on the C drive so it looks like installing on a formatted drive will wipe out the files necessary to create the Old folder so it's probably not possible to roll back to Windows 8.1. I do have a complete backup on another drive so if necessary I can recreate my Windows 8.1.

That is correct because basically you did a clean install versus an upgrade install. You formatted your HDD which wiped it clean of everything on it.

Reaction score
Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?
Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

This is an unbelievably horrible idea on their part. So if someone swaps hard drives and tries to do a clean install they are screwed. What morons...

Reaction score
This is an unbelievably horrible idea on their part. So if someone swaps hard drives and tries to do a clean install they are screwed. What morons...

All one needs to do is to contact MS tech support and they'll work with the person to resolve it.
Usually it's the motherboard that's the big issue not a HDD.

If you would have read all of the quote you quoted you would have seen the following:
If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation.

It doesn't state they'll refuse activation at all.

Why can't these people posting these questions FULLY READ what is showing?

Sheesh... :rolleyes:

Reaction score
All one needs to do is to contact MS tech support and they'll work with the person to resolve it.
Usually it's the motherboard that's the big issue not a HDD.

If you would have read all of the quote you quoted you would have seen the following:
If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation.

It doesn't state they'll refuse activation at all.

Why can't these people posting these questions FULLY READ what is showing?

Sheesh... :rolleyes:

I read the whole thing. Having to contact customer support to get the software registered only makes it tiny bit less stupid. Why they CHOOSE to let this be a headache for their customers and themselves is amazing. It does NOT need to be this difficult. But this is Microsoft after all-- it should have been expected, I suppose.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Big Update:
So I took the plunge and did a clean install with the ISO created from the install media creation tool. All went fine, then the prompts for inserting a key started, I just left those blank and kept hitting next and continue. Lo and behold I checked system specs from control panel/system....and there it was Windows 10 Pro and at the bottom windows was activated. Holy crap....it worked. No windows.old folder.

Then I downloaded Belarc to check my PK and sure enough....it was the generic preview key.....the one that ends in 3V66T but activated.

Ask a Question