Close To Just Giving Up Trying To install Win 10

Reaction score
4 attempts at trying to upgrade to win 10 on my wife's laptop. 1st time it failed because of error code:80072EE2 then the next 3 times it failed because of error codes: 80242014, C1900101-4001E, and C1900101-4000D. The laptop is a Gateway Model NV53A running Win 7. Bios is updated as is all drivers. When installing, Anti-Virus is disabled as is the wi-fi. Nothing else is connected at time of installation. Can't figure it out. Help please.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What medium are you using for the update (DVD or USB)?
What source did you use to obtain the ISO?
Is the current version of Windows 7 that is installed on the laptop, 32 or 64 bit version? Home or Pro?
Is you install media the same version and edition?

Reaction score
The laptop is Win 7 Home edition 64-bit. I tried upgrading from windows update and also from Microsoft web site which took me right back to windows update.

Reaction score
If it eases your concerns it took me four attempts to get Windows 10 loaded onto my machine via my entitlement having Windows 7 already on my laptop, errors seemed to always show up having reached over 90% of the installation.
It didn't end there but that's another story.

JW.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm getting a sense of Déjà Vu, but.....,.
Get the ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Use ImgBurn from here to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
Put it into the optical drive on the problem laptop.
Open the DVD with file Explorer and double click setup.exe
By the way.... you can't really disable an Antivirus product, your best bet is to uninstall it completely if you suspect (and it's possible) that it's somehow causing an issue with the install.
Keep it simple nothing running, as a matter of fact I recommend a clean boot https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
AND
No peripherals connected, just usb keyboard, mouse and monitor.

EDIT: You may also want to get rid of $WINDOWS.~BT since it would seem to be trashed anyway.
It's a hidden folder in the root of C:\ and contains the installation files which have evidently not been working for you so far.

Reaction score
Hey Trouble, this week finally got around to trying the ISO file on my wife's laptop. Followed your instructions, still no luck. Matter of fact, the laptop is at the computer repair shop now getting fixed. The update would not install so it reverted back to Win 7. Error message's whenever a program would try to start. After a couple of restarts the operating system wouldn't even load. The computer tech said he'd call me today, it should be fixed sometime this afternoon.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK.... thanks for keeping us updated on your progress.
Hopefully, all will be right again after its' visit to the shop.
Fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. I'll let you and the forum know what happens. Once again, thank you.

Reaction score
Ok here is what the computer tech told me. Either the ISO file I downloaded from Microsoft was corrupt or Win 7 on my wife's laptop was unstable to begin with. When Win 10 did not load and it reverted back to Win 7 the corruption got worse. He loaded a fresh new copy of Win 7.
My wife just wants to go with Win 7 until she gets a new laptop that will have Win 10 already loaded. Her laptop is 8 yrs old, so as long as it lasts until support runs out from Microsoft for Win 7.
Spent Saturday reloading her software and setting it up to be just like before. She's happy, but I'm out $125.00.
The things us guys do for love.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
Thank you Trouble. I already made a ghost image of her computer. The technician removed the Get Win 10 notification. I have the update setting set not to automatically download and update---just in case Win 10 tries to sneak itself in.
My wife will warm up to Win10 eventually, she uses my laptop from time to time and she has admitted that Win10 is easy to move around in.

Reaction score
I also have a gateway NV53. Just installed a 120gb ssd and installed Windows 7 64bit. Install went smooth so I decided to download and install the windows 10 update from the Microsoft website. Right now it's been stuck in the "Checking for updates" step for the last hour. Is this step supposed to take this long?

Ask a Question